Off Topic Landfill 5

Same outlet wrong wattage. It can handle about 20 amps max, where a true 240V charger can handle up to 40amps

And a charger like this
https://www.costco.com/axfast-level-2-portable-electric-vehicle-charger.product.100489580.html

BTW it’s probably more than a grand, I remember getting quotes for 2k due to the high gauge wire and extending the panel to support it.

2 Likes

Hard wired charges can do better than 40 amps, 40 amps is just the maximum amperage for a charger than can use a plug (plugging into a 50 amp outlet/breaker)

@Daburgaman Could you add the plug on the exterior right at the panel? Then just use a really long charging cord to reach the car? Should be much cheaper…

Really long cables and high amperage 240v aren’t usually the best of friends

Let’s start the question simpler… what ev are you trying to charge?

1 Like

Wrangler 4xe. Don’t need the level 2 necessarily.

Does it come with a charger at all?

Charging
Level 1 - 110v - 5miles per hour (10 hours) (Included)
Level 2(a) - 220v 20amp (Dryer Plug reuse) - 10miles per hour (5 hours) (that $250 Charger from Costco)
Level 2(b) - 220v 32amp - 15miles per hour (3 hours?) ($2k install $400 charger)

So take your pick.

It comes with a level 1 and potentially a level 2. Waiting for the car to arrive to check.

Level 1 takes 12 hours to charge
Level 2 takes 2 hours

Level 2 at 7.8w will do that.
I don’t even get that at public chargers. I get 5.8 max

Got it - good info. I know I’m overthinking this and should just use the level 1 with the outlets that are already in the garage :roll_eyes:

That’s why I’m saying DRYER plug. It’s there right? And is it unused? Then $250 will save you a bit of time.

1 Like

A dryer plug in the garage??? No way - my dryer is on the 2nd floor.

oh…oops, then nevermind. haha

Sounds slow. When my Daughter visits, I plug her Ford Fusion into a garage outlet it charges in ~3 hours. Level 1 charger that comes with the car.

That’s what my electrician was going to charge me to get a “dryer plug” run to the garage.

Ford Fusion - 26 e miles - 5 hours
Jeep 4xe - 49 e miles - 10 hours.

1 Like

If you’re going to run a line, I wouldn’t run a 30 amp line. I’d run 50 or 60. Buy once cry once. It’ll be overkill for the jeep but give you headroom for a full ev in the future

4 Likes

Oh for sure. If I’m going to spend it - I want it to be the right setup for future use.

Interesting. I didn’t know the Jeep had that range.