Off Topic Landfill 5

I used to ask for free floor mats as my final demand after reaching agreement on the price. However, all the cars I have bought in the last 15 years or so come with mats included.

1 Like

I may start offering some extra markdowns for accessories (They’re residualized) on leases soon since NA is pushing VIA adds.

1 Like

Hi Jeff!

I’d be interested in a Pathfinder SL, what kind of deals do you have for that?

Also interested. PM me please.

Not on swapalease yet but posting it there tomorrow

He could be right. Supply is still way down for many models and demand up with the income gap rising. Would need a major stock crash and deflation to have large depreciation in the market for the rarest models.

Wealthy people have doubled their net worth on average the last couple years. That’s a lot of buying power. If that’s 10 million instead of 5 million. They can put that 5 mill in cds and spend an extra 15-18k a month and not dip into their savings at all…that’s on the low end of returns though.

3 Likes

Has everyone worth 5 million 2 years ago doubled their money?!

Seems hard to believe, would’ve thought most would have lost a lot the last couple of years…

Not that far-fetched when you consider what businesses were forced to shut down and which ones got to stay open during the turmoil of 2020 and the aftermath.

Things that make you go hmm. :thinking:

2 Likes

The Dow is down like 10% from the high. I doubt most wealthy people roll purely nasdaq. So in general they might be a bit down this year but the prior few years were explosive for them.

Factor in the appreciation on their primary, beach and winter home and I’m sure that will overcompensate for any tech losses, unless they were very overweight. I think most wealthy people don’t take those types of risk once they “made it”. They’re in large cap high dividend stocks. The smart money is always a step ahead, actually didn’t have to be that smart to see the tech bubble.

2 Likes

If the economy has literally doubled in size since 2020 (it hasn’t) the richest 1% would have had to have taken 100% of that growth to have doubled their money.

As its only gone up circa 10-20, say they have taken 2/3rds of that, the average 1%er will be at best about 13% richer than than they were in 2020

There is certainly no proof in that article or otherwise that everyone who had 5 million in the bank in 2020 is suddenly sitting on $10 million, it simply has not occured.

Assuming a top end estimate of 20% growth since 2020 and taking the 2/3rds number from that article, the numbers suggest they’re probably at about $5.6 million if they’d played their cards right.

If you think people with 5 mill in 2020 on average only have 5.6 now then :joy:
Just because the common man’s 401k is prob down 30-40% doesn’t mean that’s where smart money invests. 401ks have been a slushfund for hedge funds since they started.

On another note…

3 Likes

If you had 5 million dollars in 2020 and only made a 12-13% return since then in these explosive years…
You’d have to be the worst rich person ever. Give away all of your money to wealth management for the love of god.

3 Likes

Cut the guy some slack, he could’ve been like Tom Brady who put a ton in FTX.

2 Likes

Market up about 20% since then. Doubling unlikely.

Preach my man, preach :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

And @blakes because slow mode. :man_facepalming:

It seems quite hit or miss depending on the model at hand; some vehicles appear to be holding well and others I’m not certain that I would recommend purchasing at all in the near future.

I’ve been watching CPO Cayenne (‘19-‘22’s) pricing for the better part of a year. They have dropped significantly in the past few months, and seem to be continuing with the downward trend. It also seems there are more dealers who reduce their pricing sooner than they would have previously.

1 Like

If you’ve had any money in bonds, then you’ve lost money. Most wealthy people have a portion of their wealth, or much of it, in fixed income.

The S&P/Nasdaq/Dow are up about 15-22%.

Factor in cash, and 12-13% is probably the norm.

Many people in crypto/high-fliers/options lost everything.

If beating that was so easy, then why are so many profesionnals not doing it? They have more incentives, and resources, available.

2 Likes

The last few years were an exception not the norm. We’re not talking about getting yearly returns of 12% every year. But if you didn’t the last 5 years, you’re doing something wrong. Dow is down 10% from its all time high, so like it was said if you were overweight crypto/tech sure you might be down more. But when you get to a certain level of wealth, that risk is no longer worth the exposure, more then a small portion of your portfolio.

Don’t worry the wealthy don’t want you to know that they actually do make 8-10% a year or more, it’s in their best interest to have the masses think everyone’s portfolio is down just like the 401ks that fund their businesses and class A shares. The real power.

When you use the banks money loaned to you at sub 3% to buy out companies, returns are in the 1000s of percentage points for what you’re actually putting out of pocket also. To think they just invest in index funds is naive

1 Like

I don’t think that, I certainly don’t assume they’ve all managed to double their money either.

Even if they’d managed a decent 30% return, they’re looking at $6.5 million and then you have inflation of course, so how much is that really worth compared to 2 years ago…

Them all doubling their money in 2 years is simply not a physical possibility, it has not occurred🤣

Not all for sure. Like I said some crypto and tech def not. But with real estate pricing inflating 100% in many markets over 3 years, many def doubled up.

You have this also… if these billionaires with very diverse portfolios doubled, many others did as well. I know of many real estate investors that are prob up 10-20x their initial investment in the last 5 years. Have to remember they’re getting 100% of the property appreciation with only 20% down.

You mentioned inflation which onky compounds their gains more. It doesn’t affect them the way it affects the middle class. They raise prices of the products they sell to us, and make even higher profit margins.

I work with these people everyday. Toyota is as middle class as it gets. People are tapped out. Credit card balances are through the roof and affecting approvals. Rates are super high and prices aren’t falling nearly enough to compensate for that. They’re getting squeezed so hard and there will be a tipping point.

So you’re now saying ‘a selection’ of wealthy people have doubled their money.

A selection will also have lost a load.

It would be interesting to see which wealth band, as a whole made most on average