Nvm. Found the answer I needed

Actually, I’m the one it Texas, so if I buy it for her in my name, I’m subjecting myself to extra tax. You’re looking at it backwards. If she buys it for herself, as an Indy resident, it’s fine. You’re thinking too hard about this.

Yeah, a co-sign is what I’m considering. The whole point is I was buying it because I have a better credit profile and have higher income. I’m just worried that if I do that, I’m going to get taxed.

Nope, sorry. If a Texas resident signs on it, there’s Texas tax when it’s brought into Texas. I was also reading up on Texas law the other day, and you can be considered a “resident” of Texas in more than one way. She can technically be considered one for this purpose due to her ties to the state.

You will get taxed. It’s that simple; end of story. Either way, you could get caught by it being only in her name, and then she “suddenly” moves to Texas soon thereafter. It’s not a fine line drawn in the sand that someone will get the new resident exemption. They do have a habit of finding things out…

If you have a Texas license, I dont think you will be able to cosign for her. Unless you can provide significant proof that you reside with her. Most banks will require cosigners to live in the same household or at least nearby. Since you guys are not married yet, I dont think you will be able to co-sign for her.

You just might have to take the bullet, pay the taxes and purchase under your name and register directly in Texas. IDK much about Texas regulations. So I have no input on this.

1 Like

My post wasn’t about taxes.

1 Like

Go and DELETE that post.

1 Like

Something tells me that because OP has deleted everything, he’s going to try to get away with this. The point is to leave posts up so that others can research and learn.

2 Likes

People do things in strange manners. But you’re correct is my impression.

:bat:

1 Like