Nissan Leaf. Buy or lease?

Here is a deal on a leaf at the local dealer. I’m trying to crunch the numbers of which ultimately is the better deal? If we lease do we not get the government rebate?

Is it better to lease for 24 months they buy out at the end? If we get the rebate it could be but I’m not sure if you get in when leases? Anyone have some insight?

If you can really buy it for a net of 12k that is hard to pass up. If you pushed for 5 or 6k dealer discount instead of the 3k advertised it would be even better. Normally my view is lease EVs bc the risk around low resale and changes in tech but for 12k who cares.

You need to ask for a quote. I can’t read the fine print but from the ad it looks like this is a fleet discount…which you may not qualify for. Ask them for a buy and a for a lease quote and then compare. CO sure has an edge with that $5k rebate.

Just spoke to the dealer. It’s a group buy discount so any resident and xcel customer would qualify

Great! Tell them to make you a buy offer…with all fees included. If you can get it under $15k it’s probably not worth leasing it.

I am local looking at this as well.

Got an offer recently for $2,000 day-of which includes tax and all dealer fees.
Monthly: ~$130-140/mo (presumably based on credit) 12/24

Base S model. This seems like a really good deal but would be my first lease. SV trim would be nearly double the price so I’m not sure if it is worth it. Thoughts?

Can you send me the sales sheet

please send it to me as well

Can anyone help me understand the packages?

For the same price you can get an S with the charge package as an SUV without the charge package…

What does the charge package do? Can a 3rd party one be bought for cheaper than 1800 what the dealer charges… ALso i am not seeing any SV with charge package… Can that be added?

From my understanding the “plus” models have a larger battery… but is that separate from the charge package?

Basically what is the charge package and what does it do lol

The charge package refers to the dual voltage portable charging cable and the DCFC option that the car is equipped with. That will help you on the road when you need to use the fast charger as it drastically cuts down the charging time. You can’t install that later but the cable you can definitely get on your own from third party vendors.

anybody have any connections in socal ?

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

It looks like the deal is still going on through 9/3.

Did anyone take advantage of this deal?

Curious as well. Man CO has a huge advantage with the $5k state credit.

Similar offer here in NY for customers of NYSEG, it effectively gives the fleet price, which translates to a $5000 rebate. On top of that it is eligible for $2000 (to the dealer) from NYSERDA, the efficiency utility in NY. And then there is the $7500 tax credit,

[https://www.nyseg.com/wps/portal/nyseg/saveenergy/innovation/plug-inelectricvehicles/nissan-leaf-rebate/!ut/p/z1/vZNfb4IwFMU_yx54bFpBUB8ZIahRURH580IqtlgDBaFz-u1XEhJNFnVZsvWtyb3n_nruKYxhCGOOzyzDgpUc5_IexUai9eb2uG-hhTtzVbRCU2c08teaPR3A4FmB6ekw_kk_enBM9Kp_C2MYp1xU4gAjfm1IhrM6ub1BQQeC96RWUFPgWhBO6uyqIMZ5ee4KqvwjA4yTnKSiZumZHFiak0ZBnDUN5iAnmIKa7LAg7bAqZXsYjYjWN_oDCvTRnoK-auzBLt3pIKVGSqmhaj1K2-rAmifOzH03Z4nlLjZ2uIGRghaRZzums04Wd6DjDtRrQe0OdHIHumxBJ9zuQLcd6PMdtCbFzy0OWtAXW3ylEUmGwSOFpaHD4MzIJ_R5WRcyV97vnFz59lpO-g9TxwhOX4VP_g52PJ1iU0aw5IJcBAz_PoNyqlrPrXkmHcTiINtoCcObGgwfqEm472pV4fvFUCtAiI56VgwvwAmGjfn2BTSETvs!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/?current=true&urile=wcm%3Apath%3A%2FNYSEGAGR_Navigation%2FHeader%2FSmartEnergy%2FInnovation%2FPlug-InElectricVehicles%2FNissan-LEAF-Rebate%2F]

FYI this “deal” has been going on for a couple years. I think the first time I saw it was last year through work. It might have been the year before too. If you look at used ones, you’ll understand why they are discounting them so much. I doubt it makes any sense to lease them, the residuals are awful

Also keep in mind that you can get this “group buy” rebate from xcel from any dealer, definitely shop around the sales price. Fine print says to get one of the rebates you have to use nmac.

I follow deals on Leafs since I have had 4, and by far the best legit deal I have seen was in May of this year when Nissan was offering $7500 dealer cash on any existing 2018 inventory. It wasn’t advertised anywhere I could find online. I was helping my sister get into a Leaf back in May and she was able to get a $3000 dealer discount, $7500 dealer cash, and is eligible for the $7500 fed tax credit. It was so good I flipped the Leaf I had at the time and did the same deal but added $1000 more off for Leaf Loyalty and they let me stack $1150 more off for VPP. Not sure if this deal will come around again but this was in May for a previous year model.

2 Likes

Definitely not. I can tell you from own experience when i was shopping for something ev last Dec. The dealers were crazy here in SoCal and not budging over 10% of msrp. It was very little interest from Nissan in moving them.

the federal tax credit is something you are going to pay upfront or in your payment and hope to get it back by the fed/irs at year end - we were pushing similiar ads years back and had tons of pissed off customers after their accountants told them they werent getting $7500 back in their pocket like everyone had assumed - yea we dont run that ad anymore

if you owe $7500 on your federal taxes at year end - you would apply this and then owe $0 - however if you owe $0, you do not get a $7500 refund

if you are going to buy this - you need to plan ahead - tax wise - if your a simple w2 employee with no other deductions its semi-easy, claim 11 dependents on your w-4 and have less tax taken out each week, therefore at year end when you claim 1, you owe money, but what if you owe alot of money like $10k plus, did you save that extra money you got in your check each week?

if you are like me, have a business, business write offs, home, home write offs etc, i’m getting money back every year, so i would never see that $7500

Well here in Colorado that “group” buy deal has been around awhile, not trying to argue, but it has. I think that ad hasn’t changed in 2 years.

What are you talking about, man?! This has nothing to do with deductions or your pay check. It’s all about how much fed tax you paid in total (from weekly checks or at tax time). If you paid $7500 throughout the year to the fed from your paycheck and at the end of the year you have $0 due then you get $7500 refund from IRS.
It’s that simple. You need to plan for nothing…unless you don’t have enough liability in which case maybe get a second job.

Joe, I believe you…and I’m surprised I don’t see any posts on here from people talking advantage of this. Is this a regional thing?

1 Like