Nissan jumping into the subscription service

Nissan is launching a pilot car subscription service in the Houston area. Maybe they see this as a pathway to profitability?

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/drivers-can-switch-their-ride-every-day-with-nissans-first-subscription-service#

Looks like there are two main plans:
$699-a-month Select plan: Altima, Rogue, Pathfinder, and Frontier
$899-a-month Premium plan: All the Select plan cars plus the Leaf Plus, Maxima, Murano, Armada, Titan, and 370Z coupe

After a $495 membership activation fee, the monthly subscription includes the vehicle (unlimited switches, as often as a new vehicle each day), delivery, cleaning, insurance, roadside assistance, and regular maintenance.

GTR is a $100 day extra, with a maximum 7 day period, and I think you need to be part of the $899 plan as well.

I really think these subscription services can help people trying to downsize the number of vehicles they have “just in case they need a truck” or whatever. But then again paying $900 a month to drive a Maxima feels like a losing proposition to me.

why would i pay 900 dollars a month to drive a nissan?

At some point the subscription services have to lower their price points. If this was 300-400 a month, I’d consider it over a conventional lease… but not at 900.

2 Likes

I see Nissan continues to have their head up their ass

10 Likes

If I remember correctly, some other manufactures like Audi, BMW, and Volvo had subscriptions for the same or similar price. Even Porsche was not much more.

Actually they are much more. BMW’s entry level subscription service is $2000 a month. Porsche’s entry level is $3,100 a month. Care by Volvo is $700 a month, but it’s only for the base XC40 with no car swaps.

The pricing has changed since I last looked then. I do remember Audi’s base was about $900-$1000. Edit: Just looking BMW Access is $998 and Audi is $995. So an extra $100/mo gets you an Audi or BMW over Nissan.

Depends on vehicle.

Would you rather pay $900/mo to drive a murano or $800/mo to drive an XC90?

1 Like

It looks like the pricing has changed since I looked at them. Yeah, for $100 more a month it would be a no brainer to be in a luxury brand instead.

I’d take the XC90 but I could see some people would want the flexibility of having a small, fuel efficient car for most days and then a SUV for times they take road trips or have family in town.

Unfortuantely at $900/mo, you could just lease both.

1 Like

A savy leasehackr could do it without breaking a sweat. The general public, however, might see the savings. Especially with maintenance and insurance thrown in as well.

hahahahahahahha!

Oh Nissan. What a total basket case. Instead of concentrating on creating cars that people may potentially actually buy (like an updated PHEV Rogue or an EV Kicks or giving us the new Juke which looks great!) they fuck around with total nonsense like a subscription service.

Anyone who is willing to part with $700 a month to drive an Altima needs to DM me immediately. I’ve got a great deal on some reconstituted totally organic, natural ingredients only indicator fluid

3 Likes

A rudderless ship just drifts with the currents

1 Like

Interesting. The majority of the market that goes after Nissan can’t afford to do 700/900 a month on an Altima/murano. That, or their finances aren’t completely up to scrub.

I believe Porsche was able to get away with their subscription plan because they understood their clientele and market very well. I don’t think Nissan knows what is doing anymore…

1 Like

You’re effectively renting it… with insurance, maintenance, gas (I think), and other stuff included. But yeah the price point is absolutely terrible. For these subscription services to work, you would need them to be a little higher than a conventional lease, not 3x. They will come back to earth…

Live shot of the Nissan boardroom, where Carlos Ghosn’s successor, the Underpants Gnomes, reveal their strategy to turn Nissan around:

I Juke you not!

4 Likes

699 for an Altima, or 899 for a maxima…oh golly gee, where do I sign up?

If only they had the Versa or Sentra for 599/mo.

Maybe Infiniti will do this too, and we can pay 999/mo to drive the high tech and modern Q50

The set of cars actually makes a lot of sense. Mid-size sedan, compact SUV, 3-row SUV, pickup truck.

If it were $499/mo, I would strongly consider it (esp since maintenance and insurance are included). For $599, the general population. For the price they’re asking… I can’t see anyone being interested.

The $899 is just ridiculous(ly bad). Of course, part of problem is b/c many of those cars in the Premium plan are so outdated (particularly the Z).

I remember reading somewhere recently that a person representing US BMW dealerships thought the subscriptions weren’t such a great idea (maybe on The Truth About Cars?)… Don’t quote me, though.

I think subscriptions as a revenue generation makes sense in industries where something similar doesn’t exist. But isn’t leasing already pretty close to a subscription model?

Count me in for a Leaf Plus for $899/month.

Similar, but different. You can’t swap cars on a whim, have to buy your own insurance, take care of wear items as needed (brakes, tires, wipers, etc…) with a lease, where you get these items on a sub.

I can see this working for someone that wants an all in solution, doesn’t like the dealership high pressure back and forth game, and likes the convenience of being able to swap into a larger car for a vacation, for example. That said, someone savvy at negotiation and isn’t concerned with swapping cars can do much better than this on their own.

The brands need to do a much better job at marketing this though. I don’t hear about any of the other brands subscriptions anymore since the initial launch. Can’t get people to do it if they don’t know about it.

Garbage unless you can switch daily and turn it in on empty fuel.

And even then: who wants to drive a Nissan?