Next Gen Mazda6 to go RWD; Debut in 2022 with I-6

Looks beautiful

I guess will have to wait till 2022 for my new car…

I want the V6s… No turbos…

Inline will do I guess

I think this is definitely a smart move.

LOVE the look of the Mazda6, and the interior in the higher trims is amazing. But there is no way I would pay that much (or lease that much) for a FWD 4-cylinder even though I know I’d never push the limits. Just that aura that’s left around it from an enthusiast standpoint.

Hopefully this works out, and the mazda faithful who love their playful miatas will take the 6 a serious look.

1 Like

Idk, all things being equal, I’d take the straight 6 Over a V. Simpler design and no need for balance shafts

2 Likes

I like cars too but in reality is this what the market wants?
No, good luck selling more that a pittance, hope they recoup the R/D.

Bear

I am a big fan of Honda v6s with VTEC. Still mad that can’t buy a Honda sedan with v6 & mt

With the continued trend towards SUVs, I really don’t think this is a wise move at all. The development costs for a new platform must be very high. The Toyota tie-in can ease the budgetary constraints on the inline 6, but with BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Volvo all finding success with having 4 cylinders in their larger models, I don’t see the need for it.

They’re attempting to cater to too much of a niche market. The average consumer doesn’t care at all about whether its FWD or RWD. There is a reason why the Lexus GS is being discontinued while the ES continues to sell well. This car is being geared towards enthusiasts and it’s going to end up a massive failure

V6 engines have terrible balancing and centrifugal force issues that inline 6s do not experience. There’s a reason why inline 6 engines are considered “silky smooth.”

This is the right move by Mazda as other premium makers are going back to using I6 engines.

1 Like

Nice but the market won’t care.

“Huh, is that like a V6?” :shrug:

1 Like

The few people who consistently fork over the cash for it do. Mercedes wouldn’t have gone back to it if here was no market.

A rwd platform with an I6 is ideal for a premium mid level crossover, in my opinion. Good for towing and great driving dynamics. You can also charge more money for the premium-ness of it.

More cars that are super long but no interior space. What a great feature on a family sedan…

2 Likes

Looks like the Buick Lacrosse and Lexus LS500 had a baby :face_vomiting:

1 Like