New to Leasing: Is advertised lease deals the best out there?

I’ve been lurking on here for a day and learning as much as possible about leasing as I’ve always bought used cars in the past. So, I’ve been looking around for advertised lease deals and was wondering if they are the best deals out there. Also, is it realistic to get those advertised deals?
The two that I’m interested in and seems like a good deal in Pacific Northwest:
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE for $3,499 DAS, $299/month for 36 months.
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring for $2,999 DAS, $279/month for 36 months.

Is it realistic to get these deals? And if so, is this considered good?

I’m not very particular as I want something big enough with good MPG and I found these to be good deals. I’m in the process of selling my used car right now, but from lurking in the forum, it seems like there are no good leases out there right now so wanted to see if these are good deals or not.

Advertised lease specials are generally neither good deals nor what they appear to be. You need to pay attention to the asterisk next to them that lists the thousands of dollars in taxes and fees that they don’t include.

Now, the listed monthly/das may be a decent deal (or it may not), but that’s not what the actual offer even is.

It is practically impossible for us to tell you what a “good” monthly payment is for your specific lease as lease programs are highly dependent on region, personal qualifications, tax rates, etc.

We always recommend the following method before you ever contact a dealership. If you do all of the work up front, you’ll have a stress free dealer experience and set yourself for success.

1. Read Leasing 101 (EDITORIAL | LEASEHACKR) to understand how to calculate a lease payment and the variables. Monthly payment is an output, not an input!!
  2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target
  3. Gather the current MF, RV and incentives from Edmunds forums for your zip code
  4. Research the LH marketplace and other deals that have been made recently on your vehicle - what was their pre-incentive discount? How did their lease terms differ?
  5. Plug your numbers into the LH calculator (CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR), and use a pre-incentive discount similar to what you have seen
  6. Create a target deal, this is what you’re trying to negotiate to. You can try different terms, selling price discount, etc. and see how your monthly payment is affected. It is also possible that different trims of your vehicle may have different MF and RV (i.e. this is very common with GM), so make sure that you look into that. Come up with a set of inputs that give you the output that you want - your desired monthly payment.

With a target price determined, you now have a deal to pursue and compare dealer offers against. More importantly, you have a solid foundation to work from.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply, mllcb42.
Is there a way to see by looking out the output (DAS and monthly payment) to determine if it’s a good deal? With the Jeep Wrangler 4XE offer, when I take a look at the disclosure, total due at signing includes a down payment and first month’s payment. Tax, titles & license extra. Is it accurate to say that’s how all of the disclosures are? Where tax, titles & license to be extra? So by comparing the output, could I determine who’s offering the best deal and decide if it makes sense for me?

If you follow the steps above, that’ll walk you through how to determine what a “good deal”, with everything included, actually is. You can compare offers to that, but you need to make sure they’re actually accurate for your situation.

About 99.9% of the time, if it’s an offer on a manufacturer’s or dealer’s website, it isn’t a good deal. No need to even waste the time doing any math.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know and glad that I asked.
When I asked this question elsewhere, I was told that manufacturer’s lease deal is usually the best but usually limited to certain trim levels and as long as I’m happy with the trim and the dealer has inventory, it’s usually the best deal.
But I guess this isn’t the case.
My question in regards to the steps you’ve outlined with #2. Pick a specific vehicle that you want to target. I’m not very particular on a specific vehicle. I’m going for the best deal that meets my criteria. So, I guess that’s why I was shopping around looking on manufacture’s site for their current lease deals that they’re offering. Besides looking on manufacture’s site, what other methods are out there to find what type of deals are out there? When I look at the type of deals that people are getting on this site, I don’t see much difference to manufacturer’s website deals when I look at the DAS and monthly payments.

If you’re deal driven rather than vehicle driven, the shared deals section here is probably the best resource for finding out what’s leasing cheap. We usually see a lot of volume of deals that are abnormally good.

3 Likes

That means the deals here are beating the advertised deals by thousands of dollars.

2 Likes

LOL, where did you ask this, r/askcarsales?

Now that you’ve made it to LH, take a look at the Shared Deals and Marketplace sections. Shared Deals is where we post the deals we’ve made, and Marketplace is for brokers to advertise. Most brokers post spreadsheets with models and available discounts, and in most cases these broker deals will be close to if not the best you can get (otherwise they will get laughed/mocked off the site).

At the very least the MFR advertised deals don’t contain taxes and fees, as mentioned. So if you see someone on LH that leased a Jeep for $400/mo with $4000 DAS (same as advertised) but that includes $3k worth of taxes and fees, that deal is $3k better than the advertised deal.

3 Likes

Hell, they’ll tell you that you should be honored that a dealer might consider matching an advertised special

2 Likes

Yea, that’s what I was seeing on Reddit about advertised special being the best as that’s directly from the manufacturer.

So, how do I get a deal that’s lower than what’s advertised? Just call and ask each dealer for the best price?

1 Like

Personally, I make the dealer an offer and they can take it or leave it. I see no point in asking a dealer how much they want me to pay.

Here’s a good discussion on the topic if you want to dive into different strategies:

1 Like

ok, thanks for the info.
From browsing through this forum, it looks like it’s a really bad time to be leasing right now or just trying to find a good deal as many cars are selling at or near sticker price. My plan was that I have a 2012 Tesla Model S that’s paid off that I can sell at a really good price right now with how hot the market is. Then, to lease a vehicle by find a killer deal so i’ll just have low monthly payment and to have around $23K cash in the bank from selling my Tesla.
But I’m not sure if it’s going to be such a good idea according to how advertised lease deals are a lot worse than what is advertised as. And I’m not sure how much of a great deal I can try to find in today’s environment. I initially thought there would be great lease deals with great residual values, but I guess the selling price is pretty high right now.

Leasing or buying right now is best avoided if you can. The market is insane currently.

1 Like

ok, got it. Thanks for all of the great info!
But from researching all of the info in regards to leasing, I’m just not sure if it’s right for me. There seems to be a lot of work involved to try to get a great deal that seems to be more of a hassle that I have to do every 2-3 years dealing with dealers.
I do love cars and cycle through a lot of cars so I thought I’d give leasing a try, but I may stick to trying to find great deals on used cars and selling on my own privately.

We’ll see. I’m just kind of rambling now, but I may just have to get more and more familiar with all of the lease terms and really understand what’s a good deal or not.

I didn’t see it mentioned, the brokers here are a good way to go. My friends who have used them had great experiences and prices. Well worth the fee not to jump through hoops only to find out the deal was not such a deal after all.

1 Like

If you don’t want to put the effort in, that’s ok. There are plenty of brokers here that you can hire to do it for you.

1 Like

that’s great to know!

Yes, but brokers cannot change the bank’s programs. If they suck, they suck.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.