New to Leasing - How do I talk to the dealer?

Huh…? I never said anything about leasing a 2018 (As far as I know there is 0 lease support on MY18)

It clearly says 2018 right there. OP is trying to lease a 2018.

1 Like

No more 2018’s last I heard. That train has left the station and all tickets are null and void.

1 Like

So you want 35% off MSRP before any incentives? Where did you come up with this number from? At least you don’t need to make that offer anymore since the 2018 X1 isn’t leasable.

2 Likes

Hehe, that’s a 7 series type of discount and you need to find a dealer that’s seriously desperate to get it out of their sight to get there. Phew…

Those two statements don’t go together

9 Likes

Unpopular opinion: If you don’t know which car you want for sure then go test-drive a few before you start a dealership deathmatch on BEST PRICE. Otherwise you’re wasting everyone’s time.

5 Likes

This is a demo car. As far as I know right now, it fits the lease requirements for age & mileage. But I will verify this again tomorrow. Like I said, I am very new to all of this. I have bought/leased 2 cars in my life - I hated doing it. I never understood what was happening or what I was signing. And I know I’ve never gotten a decent deal. I knew I had to get another car this summer and was truly stressed about it and dreading it. Then I came across this site and it’s been really helpful to me to see all of the different input. I am hopeful that I won’t get ripped off.

Over the last couple months I’ve seen a shared deal or two where someone has gotten 20 - 30% off MSRP. I’m sure it’s not apples to apples with this car. But as I worked with the lease calculator, this amount seemed to be good for me. The other thing that I’m learning as I’ve read through the site is that if I don’t ask for something, then I definitely won’t get it. So it’s probably crazy for me to want $24k as the starting number before incentives, etc., instead of the listed $29k, but I assume they’ll give me a counter offer or just tell me no.

I don’t think I’ve had the dealer spending a lot of time and working very hard on this, at this point all we’ve done is trade a few emails about the details of the car. I’m finding it hard figuring out how to phrase the email regarding the numbers. I’m working on this tonight. I’m probably way overthinking it, but I’m doing my best. :woman_shrugging:

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I will keep you updated. :slight_smile::crossed_fingers::pray:

There’s discounts that are within reason, these discounts vary widely by the model, trim, upcoming redesign, time listed, demo or service loaner status, etc.

1 Like

Again, you cannot lease a 2018, plus, there is a stop sale on X1s, anyway, so you can try to negotiate a price, but it’ll go nowhere.

2 Likes

I will check again about the leasing. I do know about the stop sale. The dealer told me though that I would be able to get this one at the end of June because the recall repair would be complete.

Again, I call BS. There is NO update on the recall anywhere that I can find over the past month. Anything you find says there is still no fix for the recall, and it may begin to be fixed beginning on July 2, but the last guidance was over a month ago.

No matter what, you CANNOT lease a 2018. Several people have confirmed this. Move on and don’t waste your time.

3 Likes

This. So much this.

1 Like

False.

And unless the dealer themselves is holding the paper on the lease a 2018 simply isn’t going to happen. Are you sure you aren’t getting a lease and a retail sale mixed up?

1 Like

So I found a lot of conflicting info online re: BMW leasing 2018s. So I called BMW of NA this am. Basically they said it’s up to the dealer. They are not doing amarketing for for 2018 vehicle leases, but that doesn’t mean they won’t provide lease financing for a 2018 if a dealer sends it over.

Regarding the recall - as far as this particular one for this car is concerned - you are right, what the dealer said about it being complete by end of month, though possible, it’s very unlikely. The vehicle I emailed about is included in that latest recall to repair the pillar. The dealer stated in the email that the recall was being addressed and should be complete by the end of the month. Although maybe he/she was confused because they said the recall was to repair an issue with the trunk. But BMW confirmed for me that it was actually the pillar, not the trunk. BMW also told me this am that they are still developing the remedy for the recall and until they issue the remedy the car can not be repaired and therefore can not be leased or sold. They believe they will have a remedy released soon.

Maybe this is why the email communication has been so difficult, because technically they know they can’t do anything with this particular car.

The RV will be dollar based, so it’ll end up costing you more than a brand new 2019.

3 Likes

Why would that be unpopular?

1. It makes complete sense
  2. It’s the only reason most people here step foot in a dealership without a deal in place.
1 Like

I don’t know but I experience it daily.

Just find a different model that you like and move on already. You can’t lease this car, and it’s going to be so aged when the recall is fixed that it’ll be a ridiculously low residual, no incentives, etc. I have no idea why you’re so stuck on a 2018 when there are plenty of 2019 loaners around, save for the X1. (If you’re dead set on a loaner)

Maybe they don’t wanna pay subscription on Apple CarPlay. :rofl: