New BMW i4 Lease - Optional Protection Packages Worth It?

So I am about to sign a lease for a BMW i4 and this will be our first ever car lease too :smile:
The car will have two drivers (wife and I) and both of us have great/safe driving record and habits :crossed_fingers:

The dealership is going to offer us the below optional packages along with the lease.

1. Paintless Dent Protection: $499
  2. Brake Coverage (Ultimate Care+): $899
  3. Lease Protection (Waives up to $5k excess wear/tear at the end of the lease): $1799
  4. Wheel and Tire (For curb rash, rim dents, flat tires due to nails or road hazard; unlimited use): $1799

My initial feeling is to simply decline them, but wondering if you have any strong opinions to take either of them?

If you both have a history of not curbing wheels and getting door dings then I wouldn’t get any of them. Think about it this way…if you do hit something and need a new tire will that put you in a financial hardship if you have to pay for it? Same with curb rash…if you really mess up a wheel will it put you in financial distress to just pay to have it fixed? If you’re leasing a BMW hopefully the answer is no.

2 Likes

None of these are worth it. You can get a wheel refinished for $200 and a new tire for $300. Put the money in the bank and use if IF you need it.

1 Like

The pressure will be strong. The stories will be scary. The stats they share will be cherry picked. You must resist.

5 Likes

There are at least a few people here who have found wheel/tire protection helpful, depending on how big and expensive the replacement costs are and if they live in a pothole infested area.

I would say this

is probably a reasonable way of looking at it. If blowing out your tires or getting lots of curb rash hasn’t been an issue previously for the OP, then I think there’s no a need to get it. If they HAVE had issues b/f and have huge wheels on the i4, then maybe it is worth considering…

1 Like

This would only help with items larger than a credit card but too small to turn in to insurance.

PDR isn’t very expensive if you purchase it yourself IF or as needed.

Unlikely you’ll need brakes during the lease. Pay as you go.

If you incur $1,800 to $5,000 worth of damage, how likely is it that there won’t be an auto insurance claim involved?

If a full set of wheels and tires were on sale today only for $1,799, would you buy them just in case?

Assume you have plenty of room to store them.

How much have you spent out of pocket on wheel damage and replacement tires in the past three years? I’m at < $1,000 combined for every car I’ve ever owned over my entire lifetime.

5 Likes

My neighbor gets every protection the dealer offers. His wife is always cracking a windshield, curbing wheels, getting dings, blowing a tire. For them it makes sense. For someone that historically doesn’t have issues I’d risk it. Putting a new tire or wheel on a car isn’t the end of the world.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, this is super informative and helpful! Definitely gives us enough information to make our decision

We were basically skeptical how the the dealership would (incorrrectly) react to any normal wear and tear during lease return and if such packages might be a safeguard

Once you sign the lease papers, the leasing company owns the car and the dealer is out of the picture.

Before lease end, schedule an inspection with the third-party inspector as outlined in your lease.

This is what they’ll be looking for:

https://www.bmwusa.com/return-vehicle.html#inspection-guidelines

From their report, which will list everything that’s chargeable along with corresponding cost, you’ll have the opportunity to fix anything on your own, or accept the costs that appear to be reasonable.

3 Likes

I hope you put your LH calc together to ensure your target payment for deal was met…

Yes definitely, I plan to share the deal details on LH calc once I sign it

Oh this is super useful and I had no idea. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

No you should use calc to put a target deal together way before signing a deal. You should be shoppiing your target deal.

1 Like

Oh dont worry about that, this deal I got through one of the amazing brokers at LH :smile:

2 Likes