New Audi RS5 Sportback Lease Quote

Yes European Delivery often can give you the best discount on cars like this.

If only, Audi just cancelled European delivery as well. Not that it helped with the price much.

Dependsā€¦ A regular model 3 couldnā€™t beat my 2005 Legacy GT auto (with a few mods and a not-so-great tune). 3 times I stayed with him off the line at a light and as soon as 2nd gear hit, it was game over. Electric cars are great off the line due to torque at 0-rpm, but they donā€™t get a torque bump at higher speeds like ICEs do, nor do they get torque multiplication from a transmission, so they need to really jump out ahead early.

Iā€™m sure the model 3 performance would win in the same test, but an RS5 is significantly faster than my car. ~3.5 seconds vs ~4.0 seconds. Pretty easy to tune an RS5. Canā€™t really tune an electric car (yet). It MIGHT be faster - but ā€œsmoke this RS5ā€, I doubt it.

Model 3 cars have a permanent magnet motor instead of an induction motor in the rear. Model 3 performance gets an induction motor in the front to give it AWD and that performance boost.

Magnet motors do not have that same torque delivery that induction motors do. The reason they put magnet motors over induction motors was to reduce over all cost. Non-performance based model 3s are also tuned to avoid ā€œtorque rippleā€ so they donā€™t build power the same way.

Model S and performance Model 3s are pretty fast cars. I wouldnā€™t judge electric car performance based on a mid range Model 3.

1 Like

Thanks, StingerTT.

Porsche caymen really 1700?

My sister-in-law just returned her Boxter S and she was paying about 650/month for 10k/yr

I know she didnt put a lot down either

I was saying that for $1700/month you could have both a Mercedes S Class AND a Porsche Cayman.

1 Like

Arenā€™t high displacement motors almost a non-starter in the UK due to obscenely high insurance premiums (in addition to fuel, MOT and other obvious costs)?

Which is why S classes and 7 series start with 2.x liter engine

hmm, almost the same offer a South Florida dealer has, $1688 mo, $3499 DAS, but 5,000 miles per year, oh, and not an RS5, on an Aston Martin convertible.

1 Like

Tuning a leased car must be very rare (especially since most tunes can hurt your factory warranty) so I donā€™t think it was OPā€™s intention to lease an RS5 for $1700/month and then spend more on tuning it. Also as @StingerTT pointed out there is a big difference between the single motor and dual motor Model 3s, watch this video if you have time:

Last but not least if you live in altitude like I do, electric cars make a big difference over ICE cars. Here in Denver/Boulder area ICE cars lose about 20% power due to thinner air (although force induction helps a little over naturally aspirated engines) while the electric motors are not affected by altitude. If you watch some videos on TFL Car youtube channel you can see how altitude affects carā€™s performance. So within the usable speed range (how many times you get to drive over 80-85 mph) there is hardly anything on the road around here that is faster than a dual motor Tesla. And letā€™s not forget my original point, OP can buy a Model 3 Performance for the same lease payment for this RS5 in question

RS cars have always presented terrible lease values. They are definitely better bought than leased and RS5s are no different.

I think the best I saw on an RS5 lease offer was around 1,100 a month for the NY region. A hard pill to swallow when M3s are apparently going for around 600 to 800 a month. Although, in instrumented tests the RS5 out performed M3/M4 (non-CS) cars.

The RS5 is an awesome car, I think we can all agree on that. I would love an RS5 Sportback, but the lease value just isnā€™t there.

But the original point of the topic is he doesnā€™t want a Tesla, he wants to lease an rs5

No need to drag this any further but OP asked if he should lease an RS5 at the price he was quoted. My answer was that it was a bad lease value and to illustrate this point I gave the example of buying a Model 3 for the same amount as the lease payment offered. He would get the keep the Tesla thus potentially saving over $30k in the next 3 years (assuming roughly 50% deprecation over 36 months and not even factoring in tax credits or gas savings) while still driving a high-performance sport sedan.

he also stated the driving experience and the SOUND, recommending a toaster really isnt comparable.

I am trying to make a point about how bad the original lease offer was, you are trying to bash Tesla. If it makes you happier replace the Tesla Model 3 in my comment with this M3:

Model 3 Performance presents a unique exception to the usual depreciation rules. In three years, Iā€™m confident a Model 3 Performance will retain the majority of its value from purchase as opposed to these super German performance sedans.

Dont get defensive. Calling a tesla what it is, isnt bashing itā€¦ the car makes no noise. The OP likes the noise of a RS5 and driving dynamic, tesla cant match that. The m3 is at least comparable but for apples to apples it should be a new one.

Audi leases are usually bad and on new models are horrible. Itā€™s just how it goes for that brand. I hope he finds a better offer

As for the driving dynamics, RS5 is a front heavy car that is behind competitors like M3 or C63 when it comes to inherent front/rear weight balance and Tesla also has a better weight distribution than the RS5. This is from Car and Driver:

ā€œThe Tesla trailed its sports-sedan rivals by only a small increment on the skidpad, delivering a strong 0.95 g of lateral grip against the Alfa at 0.99, the M3 at 0.98, and the Mercedes-AMG C63 S at 0.97. The Audi RS5 two-door coupe matched the Teslaā€™s 0.95 g. The Model 3 stopped from 70 mph in 147 feet where all the gas-burning competitors needed at least 150.ā€

The Car and Driver test I quoted above was conducted before the release of track mode software which supposedly improved driving dynamics. Of course the Germans have superior build quality and customer service but Tesla offers similar performance at about 80% of the price of German sport sedan options. Calling a high-performance sedan a toaster because it is silent is an archaic view in my opinion but of course your entitled to your own opinion. Just fyi I am not a Tesla owner or stockholder, just merely trying to make a point about bad Audi lease value vs other options offering better value per dollarā€¦

If everyone agreed on the ā€œvalue per dollarā€ there would be only a couple or even just one car maker making just one car.

yes good performance numbers, Iā€™m familiar with that. But how someone feels driving each of those cars will vary to how they personally like it. Value is also subjective. I wouldnt get a car I hated driving, especially if Iā€™m spending this kind of money. Man the heart wants what the heart wants lol