Negotiating with one price dealers

Has anyone found a way to negotiate with the one price dealers? I’m talking the public chains. Does the dealership even set the price or is it an hq decision?

They would need a reason to negotiate with you, such as being a broker/repeat customer/valuable trade in/etc.

If this is just a random dealer you have no relationship either expect the one price model to hold firm.

2 Likes

Make them an offer. Expect them to say no. Move on.

7 Likes

Sounds like a decision has been made at HQ level to forego the customer segment that wants to haggle.

3 Likes

I tried once … Once.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying for years and don’t know if others are getting somewhere with autonation or lithia with their offers. I have tried both email and phone offers thinking calls would help.

If it’s about building a relationship…how?

Expand your distance to find a car.

Build that relationship by buying multiple cars a year from them or through some other type of working relationship. I don’t know what to say, if you are a once every 3 year buyer they have no reason to haggle with you. Just pay the price they ask or set notifications for price drops until it hits a price you deem reasonable (hoping that someone else doesn’t snag it before then).

What makes you think autonation dealers are one price dealers?

When I bought my used Honda, the Autonation dealer was one-priced on used. I didn’t ask about new or try negotiating since it was fairly priced already.

1 Like

I got my BMW i4 from BMW Fremont (AutoNation) and they were willing to negotiate. While East Bay BMW (Hendrick) wouldn’t negotiate.

Today, I don’t see AutoNation’s offers at BMW Fremont or MB San Jose being competitive without negotiating.

At least where @derekoh1991 is at, they’re “no haggle” but they’re advertising deals that seem closer to market pricing.

This is our concept statement - Our (Automotive Group Name and Brand Name) operates with upfront pricing philosophy. The price is based on current market conditions and availability to provide customers with negotiation-free buying experience

1 Like

So it’s a your mileage may vary situation, cool I’mma still lowball them.

1 Like

Neither seemed to be one price but East Bay seems to be less flexible.

East bay/south bay may be less flexible due to the fact that the customers that normally shop there don’t really mind/don’t know about other options for leasing.

It’s usually in the dealership’s favor to have the customer do monthly payments.

That’s my theory

Hendricks does seem to have a policy of no markup during the crazy times. Autonation/fremont definitely negotiates, I had a decent deal with them on a three series. Hendricks/east bay discounts were not great even though I do have a relationship with them.

AN negotiates on new and loaners, did both during peak covid. Their used is a bit more firm, you just have to give it time and they drop prices.

Super helpful and what I needed to know thank you. I’ll keep checking I guess and see if anything has changed.

Any idea if Lithia does as well? I could have sworn 6 years ago I had a quote I negotiated on hard with them.

I had actually the opposite experience, BMW of Fremont (my local dealer) has never been open to any negotiation. I was able to get a pretty good discount at East Bay BMW with a bit of back and forth.

1 Like

When I got my X5 from a lithia bmw dealer in 2021 they were pretty open to negotiation and worked out a pretty good deal

1 Like