Negotiate dealer add-ons and options

Almost every dealer will have options/add-ons that i could care less about but add thousands to the sales price of the car. Is there any advice on best practices to negotiate away these additional costs, particularly in these times when dealers aren’t doing much in they way of offering discounts on MSRP?

Work on the front end if they’re implying the dealer adds are sticky.

Focus on your Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). For example, say a dealer has the car you want with $2k in dealer add-ons, but with the right discount you are happy with the overall deal. You should always look for the best deal, but this would be my approach.

Some cars would have bigger discounts if they are special ordered.

2 Likes

Determine what youre willing to pay for the vehiclr and offer that. If they want to include the add ons at your price, cool. If not, cool.

Hypothetical discussions of what price to target are not very useful.

What year, make, model and trim?

I guess it’s a more generic question - I’m not wedded to a particular model or trim, just trying to find the best deal. But I understand that each model/trim will be discounted based on their demand and other dealer incentives. So for example, if a particular model/trim is generally seeing 0% or 5% or 8% discount in the market, I can negotiate on the dealer’s base MSRP using that info. But then there’s $2-10k in extra options - should that discount apply to the total cost of the car post-options? But some of those options have no utility for me, like I don’t care about massage seats or integrated navigation if the infotainment screen is the same either way, so can I push the dealer to give me more of a break on those options or waive them all together? Is there an “invoice” cost for those options that I should lean on them for?

What car are you looking for?

All of them it appears.

3 Likes

Depends on the car. If a dealer has add ons i usually just end up skipping the dealer. Same thing with an adm initial offer, just didn’t bother with the dealer.

Whats the elusive car you’re trying to buy? I helped buy two cars recently, no adm, no dealer add ons. Many dealers have neither.

These sound like factory options, not dealer-added.

These cannot be removed, regardless of how little you want them.

The factory MSRP is the MSRP. If the target is 6% off, that’s what you offer. You don’t ask for 6% off and then ask for the nav to be taken off on top.

Your job is to find inventory without the options you want to avoid.

Make offers for OTD pricing. MSRP of the vehicle you want, less % discount, less any rebates. Plus TTL.

1 Like

These are not deaoer add ons. Youre not going to get a dealer to cut out the cost of options, after giving a discount.

You should be reaching out to dealers targeting specific stock numbers. Pick which vehicles youre targeting based on the equipment you want.

1 Like

Great this is helpful, thanks all! And DailyDriven is close to right, guess thats part of my problem =) need to narrow the aperture first it seems…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.