Negotiate after paying the deposit?

, ,

We were looking for 2024 Audi Q5 45 TFSI Sline Premium plus in MA and it is our first time leasing a car. We did not do much research on it and paid a $1000 deposit after a very brief negotiation on the lease term and our dealer is getting our car (MSRP $55875) very soon (likely tomorrow).

After finding out this forum we quickly realized that the term we are getting is overpriced. But since we already paid the deposit, I am wonderiing how much flexibility we still have before signing the actual lease? Any suggestion on handling the situation is appreicated.

The worst scenario seems to be loosing that deposit which is something I really want to avoid but not sure how much we can still negotiate.

Have you tried just asking for your deposit back?

3 Likes

What’s up with your trade in?

This deal looks horrible. Check if your deposit says “non-refundable” anywhere. You can probably get it back.

1 Like

It’s way better than signing up for daylight robbery

3 Likes

In state of MA they can’t keep a deposit.

Also @Bostoncarconcierge has been offering some strong Audi deals.

As you have not entered into a contract ask for the deposit back.

2 Likes

Just emailed you back. Let’s connect tomorrow :muscle:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, really appreciated it.

I just sent an email to the dealer telling them negotiate or deposit back. Let’s see how it goes.

Do people realize that placing a deposit is agreeing to terms or to a sales proposition…? Whether it is good or bad.

Flip this around. The deposit has been placed…so would it be acceptable for the dealership or manufacturer to simply increase the price of the vehicle or change the terms of the purchase?? Use some common sense.

Run like hell… these are horrific terms. $31K + $5K up front for a $56K Q5 and still paying over $700/month?!? I’d happily lose the $1000

Are you the sales manager for the deal being referenced?

I see your point and I also feel bad about doing this since the guy is actually very friendly and professional.

But I also believe that before signing the final contract it is not a done deal. Matter of fact the dealer explicitly told me that the deposit is non-refundable should I choose to cancel the order so even the dealer is offering me the choice to walk away at the cost of deposit.

1 Like

IIRC Audi custom-order refunds stop being refundable once a build is “frozen to changes” and the car is basically now fully customized to that particular buyer. Since this vehicle apparently is coming off a transporter tomorrow, I think it’s past that timeframe.

While losing the deposit is an option, I think you can also look into if getting the buy rate MF, and other updates to the lease structure could at least make the DAS and monthlies more reasonable for a “LH worthy” lease.

Edit: awwwww dang. You’re in MA. I guess taxes are always going to make a lease look relatively worse than other states.

No, it’s often not a “done deal” but you typically would forfeit your deposit.

There are some states where non refundable deposits are prohibited, however. Also, if you ask nicely enough or are willing to transition into another deal…the dealer may pass your deposit along.

Given the zoo rendition as your profile picture, I’m going to assume that comment was out of humor.

But no, I’m not the sales manager for an Audi dealership. :rofl:

Thanks for sharing the info.

The car they are getting for me seems to be an inventory from their other owning dealerships.

We did ask for custom build because we do not want extra packages but was told that would be another 6-8months. Nontheless it probably is very difficult to get the deposite back. Let’s see if they are open to negotiation.

I doubt they’re getting you a good deal, it will be much cleaner if you just ask for the release of your deposit. They may decide to release it, hoping to get your future business instead.

Dang… yeah if they already put in a dealer swap and paid to have it shipped, I can see them saying the $1,000 is their money now. But, it doesn’t hurt to ask politely. Hopefully they’ll refund it.

IMO while LH is full of users that are mega-bargain-hunters… but there are many drivers out there not on LH that like their car more than they like a price-minimized-mega-deal. So, if you like this car, just use the LH tips to make sure you get the best financing, rebates, and no weird gimmick aftermarkets. At least you’ll enjoy your car and know they didn’t snag you with bogus fees or marked up money factor.

1 Like

What’s the trade and what’s the payoff?

:100:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.