Need help signing my first lease!

CA, AZ, UT, West Coast

https://www.saltlakevalleychryslerdodgeramjeep.com/inventory/new-2023-ram-1500-big-hornlone-star-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfmt7pn568806/

Hey everyone,

I am a recent post-grad student who is looking to lease a vehicle for the first time. I have been browsing the forums and have found some great deals, such as the Dodge Ram under MSRP, which caught my attention. I linked it above. I am open to different trims as well as other car brands that has size. I am happy to talk more in detail with you! I also can pickup in these states or ship. Open to lease asap or custom order, whatever will work best both ways.

As a post-grad student, I need to stay under a budget and am hoping to find a deal with 0 payment down (refundable deposits instead) or relatively low payment. I would appreciate any advice on how to negotiate a great lease deal and find a vehicle that fits my budget.

If any of you have recently signed a lease for a similar vehicle or have any advice on how to get a good deal, please let me know. I am open to any suggestions and am excited to learn more about the leasing process.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,
MK

@Clutch is doing big discounts on these right now

1 Like

Kindly contact us on our website; our dealer discount is $3000 higher than that discount prior to incentives, plus we will make the process easy for you, no back and forth with sales guys and finance managers.

2 Likes

Sounds like you may be open to other full size trucks other than Ram. I’d also suggest working with Clutch, but instead go for a 1-pay Titan.

2 Likes

Thank you, shot you a text this morning too.

Open to the titan’s too, that might be a good idea to lower the payment. Thanks!

Where are you getting the numbers there? No way this has an 80+% residual. Youre missing incentives, fees, etc.

Is that from Clutch? If not, it looks very fake as some of the numbers such as Residual Value are not possible on a Ram 1500

Yes that was way off. Thank you for catching that. Anyway I could get a correct calculation for this link?
https://www.dodgehq.com/inventory/new-2022-ram-1500-big-horn-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfft5nn380392/#

My 2 cents for people considering a first time lease or wanting to stay within a budget, which you can take or throw away:

1. Getting into a cycle of getting a new car every 2-3 years (which is what leasing is) is actually not a good way of staying within a budget.

2. There’s a lot of “conventional wisdom” out there that’s really obsolete, i.e. way behind the times. During the lease boom era (roughly 2010-2020), a lot of people rejected the idea of continually making payments, on principle, even though the ten-year cycle of lease payments was lower than financing.

Now it’s completely 180. Even though lease payments are so much higher right now, you’ve got the people who converted late become really evangelical about leasing. Seems some people just want to overcompensate for how they missed out on most of the boom.

Some people are apparently ok with 36m lease payments that total roughly half the selling price. So in two successive such leases, they’d have made payments that add up to the selling price of the vehicle! And have nothing to show for it, except a bill for disposition fees and any excess wear and tear.

So take a second to challenge your own assumptions and think critically about what POV you’ve absorbed growing up, and whether that line of thinking really stands up to scrutiny. Think about the totality of the payments you’ll make over not just the next 3 years, but the 3 years after that and the 3 years after that.

4 Likes

The link you shared is meaningless since it’s just a dealer page that is advertising a truck which has been marked up with thousands of dollars in “accessories” (which probably won’t residualize), followed up by a dealer “discount” that makes it look a little better. There’s also no way of knowing if you actually qualify for all the rebates being listed by the dealer. Your ideal lease candidate would be a truck that hasn’t had a bunch of overpriced crap or snake oil bolted onto it before you negotiate.

2 Likes

As a starting point you might specify your budget, just to get feedback on whether your expectations are realistic.

You may also get some good suggestions on other options.

Good advice, thank you

Make sure you know how to populate and use the calculator…that will force you to really know how a lease payment comes together.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.