Need car replacement advice

I’m looking to replace my 2014 a8 with a new/used car. This car is a 2nd car which only really gets used 1-2x a week. This car needs to be able to fit 2 car seats and that’s the min requirement. I’m not sure where to even start in terms of what to look for. We don’t need a new or fancy car, but really to just get the job done.

I was thinking a Toyota Camary or a Honda accord but wasn’t sure how their used car prices were in this silly market.

Before u ask why not keep the a8, things are very expensive to maintain on that car. And is being at the 130k mark we notice bigger and bigger items coming up. I have been in touch with a whole saler who has offered 10k.

Advice appreciated

What about Nissan Ariya for less than $300/m? All in.
Not sure if EV is an option for You. 18/10.

1 Like

I was looking at that but figured leasing the 2nd car would be a waste vs buying a 2 year old used car. Just felt like the car barely gets 200 miles a month…

Might get 200 miles a month, but you still have to maintain it. a low cost lease might be better for you and in NJ that Ariya is down to like $250

Used car prices are still insane. And even before chip shortage insanity it never made sense to buy a late model used Camry or Accord. You never got enough discount to account for the non-new factor and the warranty you were giving up.

Buy a brand new one if you’re going down this route.

Some of the cars in the Corolla/Elantra segment have enough back seat legroom for 2 car seats

Check out the Marketplace

You will often find new Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais etc for thousands off.

I dunno why but this car popped in my head for this thread. AWD for those winters with the kids in the car.

Valid points. I have to look for the cheapest lease and see what it would rack up to over a few years. Thanks

Humm didn’t think through the maintenance part. But I do have a relationship with a local garage who has reasonable prices. My initial thought was go Honda or Toyota for ease of repair in case something comes up.

But the more I look at used prices the more I’m shocked about the price. Maybe I’ll need a bandaid solution for a year or so and Nissan lease deals look rather appealing.

Thanks! That’s actually 10 min from my house. :joy:

1 Like

lol I just picked that one because it’s red

Have you looked at interest rates for used car loans? As stated already, you might be better off finding a cheap lease right now. If you get an EV in NJ, you won’t pay any sales tax on it.

The Ioniq 5 or 6 has some sub $300/month lease deals for 24/10k. Check out broker deals in the Marketplace.

@MikeLong - What is your main car?

If you like the Ariya, get the Ariya.

Don’t think of it as any kind of Bandaid, though. As I said earlier, late model used CamCords have never made sense. You can lease an Ariya and then come to the same conclusion again in 18-24 months.

If you can sell the A8 and wait until July then NJ ChargeUp should be back for EVs.

If you don’t want an EV or new Camcord or can’t wait, then a sub $10k Avalon or Lexus ES for cash is a better solution than an overpriced 2022 Camcord at equally overpriced APRs.

1 Like

Wife has a pathfinder which is up soon and then mine is the a8 but only gets used 1-2x a week bc I wfh now.

I was debating selling the a8, waiting a while to see what we need and see how things go with 1 car. And then in July possibly signing a cheap lease for an ev to leverage the further discounts.

Shouldn’t replacing that be your priority?

Dump the A8 in the meantime and live with one car for the time being.

I’m going to replace her car with another pathfinder. I have a good relationship with the sales manager who’s already said we can work something out on a replacement of the same exact vehicle when it’s up in 4 months. Since I did a 1 pay, I can’t go early as I’d loose out on months I’ve already paid.

But to your point, the a8 needs to go asap

If you’re open to EVs you could get a Chevy Bolt buyback for dirt cheap. It’s a small car, but punches above its weight class in terms of interior space. I was able to fit 2 cars seats and an Uppababy Vista in the trunk if I popped the wheels off.

Many people have already run these up to over 100k miles without issue and the recall batteries will have an extended warranty.

Im in the market for a “cheap” vehicle. This is a 2nd car and will really be used as a 2x a week car, like a convenience car. I need it to at most fit 3 people at any given time and car seat hook ups are needed.

I recently got an offer of 192/m with 2k DAS for the Nissan ariya. Im wondering if there is anything cheaper? Some one mentioned the Bz4x which ill be looking into.