Need basic help for Honda HR-V lease—-newbie

I am in Alabama and looking to lease a 2019 HR-V sport 2WD. I know that Honda doesn’t negotiate much in general and I have never been able to negotiate a lease…which is crazy, I know. Basically I don’t even know what to ask for. The sticker price on the vehicle I am looking at is $22,220. I have no idea of where to go next nor what I should reasonably expect as my final deal.

Edited to correct the vehicle from crv to hrv

Any suggestions? Tips? Advice?

Honda negotiates as much as anyone else.

Start by reading the leasing 101 3-4 times.

2 Likes

I feel like an idiot for having to ask where the leasing 101 post is?

Is $22,220 the offered discount price? I thought the starting sticker of a base CRV is $25,050 plus destination. You can get some fair lease deals on CRV, but it is usually much better to buy. Especially a 2wd base model. My suggestion, make sure you run the numbers both ways before you sign anything.

1 Like

I am an idiot…HR-V, not CR-V

Don’t even bother with an hr-v lease. They lease absolutely miserably.

1 Like

I guess I don’t understand when I’ve seen that said either. If the vehicle is what I want and the price is ok; why wouldn’t I lease?

I need a small suv/crossover for $190/ month or less. What are other realistic options?

By all means, run the numbers. Ever hr-v lease I have seen come across here has been so horrible due to lease terms from Honda that make them just not work as a lease. Really low RV, high mf, poor lease incentives. The numbers just don’t add up on an hr-v specifically.

I thought that MF and RV were non-negotiable? As in the finance company set it and that was that?

Correct (although MF can be marked up by the dealer). The problem with the hrv is they’re set very poorly by the bank.

Got it. THAT, I understand

Now, it’s entirely possible that that is no longer the case, and suddenly it’s a reasonable deal… And by all means check, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

What am I checking against?

You’ll want to read the leasing 101 section on here. Get RV/MF/incentives from the Edmunds forum for that model and trim in your zip code. Plug them in to the leasehackr calculator with some assumptions of a reasonable discount and see what kind of price range you get out of it. My guess is youll find it is cheaper to buy than lease.

Read the leasing 101. Go to leasehackr.com and read the actual articles.

You’re not getting ANYTHING at that price point

Ok I read through some of the articles and went to Edmund’s calculator. I guess my only real question is how much of a discount to expect with Honda; it seems that 10-15% is the best scenario, if that?

And the car is for my 16 year old; she doesn’t need much and I don’t need to be in hock for her to have wheels. My assumption was that Honda is reliable and maintains a decent value for trade-in/lease end

Don’t use the Edmunds calculator, use the LH one. When I’ve looked at the Edmunds one in the past, it leaves a lot of fees and such out so it gives unreasonably low numbers. Edmunds is the place to go for RV/MF/incentives from the forum, but that’s it . 10% isn’t unreasonable. 15% probably is.

Honestly, you’re probably much better off buying a cpo one if you want an hr-v.

1 Like

HR-V, hmm, let me save you the trouble, just buy it. Never seen a decent HR-V lease. They do hold value, so not a bad buy in my opinion. But personally I think the Honda civic hatchback is the better vehicle, and priced not much more.

2 Likes

You can get a Buick Encore lease for around $200 or less a month. Nothing like the $75 leases from a few years ago, but a pretty nice little run about for the money. On a lease for that price range that’s what I would recommend.

1 Like