NC Ioniq 5 vs 6 vs other EV

I’m in NC, I have a paid off Prius c(which I hate).

I’m thinking about trying to score one of these Ioniq deals or other ev. I’d prefer to have a 12-15k mile lease but I can live with 10k.

I have several questions

1. Is it possible to score these amazing ev lease deals in NC? I almost never see them on the forums.

2. Should I consider buying a used ev with the $4k credit or leasing? My primary goal is the lowest payment humanly possible.

3. Is the charging network in NC good enough for non Tesla EV?

4. If I decide to go for an EV lease what’s the best car for the lowest price assuming my only requirements are low cost?

5. Can anyone recommend a video of how to have the conversation with dealers? In person, virtually, what to say, what not to say, etc.

Thanks!

Why not? Sales tax is low. It’s not a punitive tax burden that’s stopping you like in MD or TX.

Pay cash?

Some markets are more competitive than others. If NC isn’t generally competitive, shop further out.

Repairs and maintenance aside, your cost of ownership on a purchase isn’t the sum of the payments. It’s interest expense + depreciation.

Car loans are available with preposterously long terms that result in lower payments, but that doesn’t mean they’re financially a better idea.

Most people advise against purchasing EVs because the depreciation curve is generally even more punishing than gas vehicles.

The coverage in your entire state (or even an entire metro area) generally isn’t relevant. Beyond home charging, check Plugshare or similar app/site for coverage near where you live or work or otherwise frequent.

Check Marketplace and Signed Deals & Tips.

Learn how to gather the required inputs and how to use the LH calculator, and then use the data in the two forums I linked above to construct the lowest offer you believe the market will support.

Select a dealer and make a firm offer, and if you get declined, move on to the next dealer. This doesn’t require extensive conversation at all. Politely, the conversation is, “Here’s my offer, take it or leave it.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the insights!

1 Like

When you say pay cash do you mean like pay off the loan in a one pay? I called a couple places and they acted like one pay was some made up thing.

Or pay cash for a used EV with the $4k rebate. $0 monthly payment. Which is the lowest payment humanly possible.

NC sales tax is only 3% right? That’s so cheap.