Moving with Lease time crunch

I’m moving from DC to VA in February but my lease is over later this month. Should I ask for an extension rather than decide on my next step (lease or buy) due to the tax money I would save once in VA? I believe it’s 3-6% differences and savings.

VA charges more I think right?

For neither. VA taxes on lease and buy (4.15%) are lower but they just want taxes upfront and eventually get you on luxury car tax. DC is 7% based on the car weight I want and 10.25% for lease.

1 Like

You’re comparing apples to oranges. VA taxes on selling price even on a lease while DC taxes the monthly payment. You’re only saving if you buy after becoming a VA resident.

Who is your lessor? They don’t all offer extensions

Yes I agree on the savings part, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I thought VA lease and buy tax is lower than DC. The plan is to officially move to VA before I make my move on the new car.
But does this mean that I’ll be ok if I decide to lease now as a DC resident and not face tax savings or a potential double tax when I move? I actually have no idea what the policies are.

Right now we’re with Volvo and they just gave us a courtesy month lease extension… which would give me only a week to get something done :eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.