MotorcycleHackr - Current Market

To each their own I guess, I learned on ‘08 GSXR 600. However, each of these bikes have multiple power modes that allow you really tone them down. An MT 07 on C mode is as good as any 300/400cc in terms of power. Now throw in ABS & and wheelie control, he should be fine.

Source: I ride an R1 & have also been riding for well over a decade.

ready for you for mulholland whenever :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

It comes down to the individual, and people on the internet aren’t going to be able to answer that. Some people are absolutely fine beginning on larger bike. Some people need to start off on something smaller. And some people shouldn’t ever ride a bike, period. :joy:

I have one friend who had “learned” on a Ninja 250 for about a summer. I tried advising that he wasn’t ready to upgrade…to a brand new ZX6R. You couldn’t tell him anything. He tipped it over the first week he had the new bike, in a Walmart parking lot. He gave it too much throttle and it was also a combination of having brand new tires with cooler air temps. After a few months, he ended up totaling the bike on one of our rides. He was lucky and didn’t get hurt, but damn. He (thankfully) hasn’t gotten a replacement bike.

1 Like

@NATO I say the best bike to learn on is one that you love. You can learn on a bike that’s beat up and ok to drop, but you may learn to love motorcycling less. It’s also conventional wisdom that the best motorcyclists learn on dirt bikes. I learned on a restoration bike which taught me how to maintain a bike but frankly was more dangerous because it didn’t handle great or have ABS. Advice on this topic is probably like how we raise our kids… No matter the evidence, we all have a bias that the way we did it was best.

Anyway, none of those are answers to questions you asked. :laughing:

Get a bike you can afford and won’t be heartbroken if you drop it. I’ve never had an Indian but they are awesome bikes and way better engineered than another prominent American company.

Best deals with dealerships tend to be “off season.” Even if you are lucky enough to live where there is no off season, you can buy a bike out of state. My last new bike purchase was a previous model year from Virginia and I had it brought out to Colorado via uShip. Saved a bunch of money that way, but there is some extra work to titling an out of state vehicle and the less you pay in shipping the higher the risk. I paid $500 which was probably stupid but the bike arrived flawless. uShip can be great.

2 Likes

Last piece of unsolicited advice… Budget at least $1,000 for protective gear. I work at a hospital and trust me you will blow past that $1,000 quick after one fall and there are much more dire long-term consequences like living with a leg injury or worse for the rest of your life. ECE rated full face helmet, jacket with shoulder/elbow protection and a back protector pouch, spine protector to put into said pouch, moto pants with knee protectors and hopefully hip protectors too, gloves, and boots. Revzilla has tons of options and they can be good looking for any style too. Don’t be fooled that jeans and a leather jacket are enough. Jeans will rip off your body fast, leave you sliding pants-less on the asphalt, and won’t protect your knee from shattering when it hits the pavement. Good motorcycle jeans or pants will slide and have protection. A leather jacket will help, but is it real leather or the kind that is going to heat up and melt to your body when you slide? Is it going to protect your bones from breaking? There’s a big difference between stuff that looks like motorcycle gear and stuff that is actually designed for motorcycle protection. As for boots, you can get away with a good pair of boots but I remember one time I went down and slid for about 25 feet with the motorcycle laying on top of my boot. It was a proper moto boot with hard reinforcement at the ankle. The boot not only protected my foot, but kept my bike elevated from the pavement sliding on top of my boot. Double bonus.

As the saying goes, “there are two types of motorcycle riders…”

I tried, but they didn’t warranty the boot. It did it’s job haha.

9 Likes

As an idiot young man who wants to squid, you gave some great advice here.

1 Like

Planning to buy 22 Bmw r18 B msrp is 25740 selling 17400 w rebate 3000 n discount. 0% apr at 60months n 4 payment paid by bmw.

3 Likes

Jeez…

Funny you came on here to share your deal. I was at work last week and I thought to myself :thinking: “I wonder how the cycle market is going.”

1 Like

Like to get input from leasehacker community.Ty

BMW has been struggling to move these R18’s. They have notoriously bad resale value as a result. Not a bad discount and incentives seem awesome. I would buy if it is a long term keeper for you and you like the bike. Check out if Euro Cycle can beat your current deal prior to purchasing. They have decent deals in their email blasts.

1 Like

Datapoint:

Northeast, used ‘22 Suzuki Hayabusa, 22xx miles, seller willing to do $14,800.

Posting in case anyone wants to make a bad decision today.

3 Likes

Lowered to $14.5k. Still under 3000 miles.

Edit - sold.

1 Like

Congrats on the 'Busa! May the shiny side stay up.

1 Like

That’s because it’s extremely ugly.

1 Like

Also 800 pounds - too heavy

2 Likes

That wasn’t nice, but I’m sure a lot of us were thinking it. The big cruiser bike crowd is aging out of motorcycles.

If there’s BMW designer here that I offended, he/she is welcome to reach out for feedback.

And, I love big cruisers. I’m an old soul. BMW bikes are very ugly aside from the super sports.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you :sweat_smile: I haven’t purchased yet, though. Just negotiating, but the distance puts a dent in the savings (Boston to S.Fla.)

What town is it located in?

Test drive for a friend!

1 Like