Motor vehicle fees // You could be due a refund!

I’ve had some recent problems with dealers on this topic, so I thought it would be helpful to start a thread.

Many states regulate the motor vehicle fees line item of a new or used car sale. Dealers generally overestimate these fees, so that they don’t have to chase down customers to pay the balance.

As such, most customers will be entitled to a MV fee refund, if they have paid more than the actual plate and reg fee to the dealer. The dealer is also generally entitled to hire a motor vehicles agency expediter, and to include that fee in the total MV line item.

In New Jersey, where a good number of deals on this forum origiante from, the MV fee overage refund is a state law, and it’s enforced by the NJ Attorney General’s office. Reminding a dealer of this fact has always shaken loose the hundred or so dollars owed to me.

Don’t leave your hard-earned money in the dealer’s account!

2 Likes

Not sure about other states, but in Florida dealers do send a refund check. People I know have also received a refund for a minor amount from Carolina and GA dealers for over estimating the FL DMV charges.

1 Like

I got refund checks in CA. I think one time it was even 2 whole dollars.

3 Likes

We get a new car every 6 months or so, almost always in NJ.

The last three times, the dealer did not proactively send the refund along as they were required to.

Total of those three refunds: $457.33

1 Like

MA is also required to send any addtl fees back within 30 days or so

1 Like

How can they over-estimate by so much? They obviously have a very good idea of what the fees are… Just another dealer scam. My lease agreement looks about right at $256. The sticker says 219, with other fees and tax making up the difference?

Yup! Shady operators are skimming profit off of this regulated line item. Quelle surprise!

We’ve gotten refunds from 4 different dealers over the past two years. Never once had to ask. One Lexus, two Chevy, one Mazda. Never an issue in NJ

Same here in WA. We have a Regional Transit Authority tax that is massive in the Seattle metro area and it is regularly calculated incorrectly, so dealers tend to over-collect and then refund the money after. Not usually to the tune of hundreds, though - most I’ve ever received back was $115.

This was my experience (Ohio registration, Virginia dealer):

I’m in NY and always got a refund

Mixed record in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state of getting refunds without asking.

Help!!

I financed my car back in 07/2020 and the dealership said they would take care of the title/tag paperwork there was a fee of course but it is now 12/2020 and I still dont have my title/tag/ or permanent plate/registration. Can I request a refund in the amount of that fee from the dealership? Got car in NJ, I live in PA. DMV has no records of paperwork being filed for my vehicle. Dealership claims they filed it.

I would contact the dealer again and speak to whoever handles motor vehicle. That’s a very long time to be waiting for plates/Reg. I know at one point PA (from what MY motor vehicle clerk told me) is that they were out of plates, but that is most definitely resolved by now.

Make sure the dealership has all of the proper documentation they need from you. I can’t remember if it is PA or NY, but I believe there is a special barcode on the insurance card that is needed for one of those states. If you run into issues with the police, calmly and politely explain the situation. If a ticket is given, make sure the dealer covers it as it is not your fault things are taking so long.

As for the title, if the vehicle is financed, you will not receive that until the vehicle is paid off. The finance company will send it to you once you have satisfied the loan.

1 Like

The dealers in NJ know the law. I have gotten refunds in the past for over payment. The last two cars my wife and I purchased, the dealer had an account on the NJDMV website and was able to calculate the payment exactly. So no need for a refund. The previous two cars, one purchased, one leased, the same dealer claimed that we didn’t pay the right amount of money and wanted more. I told the person at the front desk that the amount was correct and we did not need to pay any more. The salesman heard the “discussion” and said he would take car of it. Don’t know how many dealer directly access the NJDMV website but those that do solved the problem of refunds.

This has been discussed many times. It’s taking 3-4 months for plates in ny,nj, pa for out of state deals. They’re processing in state faster. I don’t think you can register it yourself, leasing company owns the car not you.

Cops are not ticketing for expired plates. Just be patient dmvs are a complete cluster F

2 Likes