Motor biscuit, is it just me?

Ok I’m going to rant a little, this Motor biscuit site really irritates me.

Yeah because a base $28k base wrangler which is a 2 door is comparably to a 4runner, and yeah someone looking at a 4runner is going to cross shop with the telluride. Rant done, I need to block this site from my feed, but part of me likes to see if they ever write anything that’s right or makes sense, they haven’t yet

3 Likes

Most likely trying to make headlines. More clicks = more ad revenue.

It makes me want to start my own blog, why motor biscuit sucks

I don’t think any of the writers on that site actually know anything about cars

3 Likes

one absurdity about “auto writers” that sticks with me is there was some author from autoblog.com when that site was popular. He thought the pinnacle of automotive excellence / dream car was the Buick Reatta.

I mean it is possible Buick was paying him but he seemed so earnest.

even “reputable” car mags like C&D often don’t grasp a lot of things in the auto world. Just “Does it go fast and will Hyundai marketing fly me to the coast of Italy to “sample” the new models”

C&D does a monthly feature on “This Month’s best lease deals”. As you can surmise, they’re all terrible deals. Mmmm, gimme dat Civic for 3-series money.

1 Like

I think what you have to remember is that when it comes to the automotive world, every writer has their opinions. And opinions are like…well…you know.

I just prefer when writers acknowledge their preferences and biases, no matter how wacky they are and even if I don’t agree. Jalopnik used to do a pretty decent job at that.

1 Like

Motor Biscuit is such garbage, I’ve never read a post on there that was good. I used to love reading Jalopnik everyday, but then they started throwing politics in there and I couldn’t deal with it. I still enjoy Car and Driver. Motor Biscuit comes off as people writing about cars that no nothing about cars or the history of certain makes models, etc.

When I scroll through the Google news feed, inevitably I am also tricked into clicking on the aforementioned articles. I wouldn’t be surprised if Motor Biscuit, Gear Patrol, Motorious, and one other are all owned by the same “media group” who recycle each others stories.

As mentioned, I am still guilty of clicking on them, even though I know what they are going to say for the 12th time…really the Tundra is based on archaic platform that gets crappy mpg, or that the Tacoma has only had 3 generations in 15+ years…no kidding. Personally I would like to lease a Ford Ranger or GMC Canyon however I am not willing to lease a vehicle with the same capabilities of a Tacoma, with a lower discount off MSRP available coupled with a lower rv at then end making said comparable vehicle $150+ more per month.

1 Like

Very true. Which is why, all else being equal, I prefer short notes from each member of a group vs a long review by one person.

Some of Autoweek’s reviews
Long-term test notes from Edmunds, C&D, etc.
Comparison test videos by Cars.com, KBB, etc.
The panel on “Talking Cars with CR”

Reasonable people can disagree on a lot of things. Discussion is often more useful than a singular viewpoint.

The major automotive mags still have some good writers. But I think the pressure to produce content every few days (rather than every month) has taken its toll. C&D is posting lots of archived articles, and it’s so clear that the quality of writing (let alone actual automotive knowledge) is simply a shadow of what it was b/f.

The alternatives are pretty absurd. Surely the 4Runner appeals to people who want the ability of decent off road performance (even if they don’t ever actually use it) with the ridiculous reliability?

A Honda Passport is equally dull but at least similar in terms of reliability and price
Any of the off-roady smaller pick up trucks would make sense as an alternative too
A Forester is a smaller but i’d say comparable?