Mission (Impossible?): Land a new 7-seat Model Y Long Range by August for my FIL

My FIL in CA recently had his not even 1 year old 2021 Rav4 Hybrid AWD totaled while it was parked in front of his place of business (yes, your car can indeed get totaled while parked in a tiny parking lot…broken in half axles evidently an almost surefire way of being totaled).

His insurance company just mailed out the compensation check; he got just north of $48k after taxes and fees were also included. His Rav4 was valued at $44k according to a CCC One report (Vroom and Carvana offering $39k, CBUSA $43.4k, so the $44k insurance settlement amount seems more than fair).

He decided he wanted a Model Y as his replacement car (cool) and put in an order a couple of weeks ago, but the EDD is Nov 2022 - Feb 2023 (not so cool). He knew going in he could be waiting as long as next year for it to be ready for delivery (and it seems 7-seaters are even more of a unicorn than the 5-seater Y).

Is there any way (outside of sheer dumb luck) that I can help him land a 7-seat LRY by August of this year (putting down August as that’s when we’re supposed to go visit him on vacation LOL)? I know about the WaitingFor Tesla Discord channel, but Y drops are rare and usually are gone in an instant and I can’t sit around all day watching for drops. I also emailed the Tesla store he’s closest stating he’d be interested in any 7-seat Model Y’s that become available, and they said they’d keep him in mind.

He really wants a 7 seat version as the option of cramming in a 6th or 7th (very small) person for short trips is appealing to him. I know that dropping the 7 seats and opting for a Performance Y would greatly chop the wait time, but he doesn’t need a Performance (nor the increased insurance premiums or harsher ride).

I’ve also been hitting up Tesla chat at least once a day, but all they’ve is link the inventory page we all have access to, provide local store contact info, or simply say there’s nothing available.

If anyone else has any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

edit: I know “buying” a reservation is a thing, but seems iffy as ever lately and don’t want him going through any of that extra hassle.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to get a New Tesla FAST – WaitingForTesla Discord