Mid-Large Size SUV Deals? In the South?!

Hi all!

I just moved from CA where the deals were prevalent it seems. Now I’m in South Carolina where it appears much less so. I’m looking for a mid-large size SUV (with 3rd row seat). We currently have a Toyota Highlander which I feel the deal we got was very fair (~8.9 LeaseHackr score). We just had our 3rd kid and want something a bit bigger in the 100+ max cargo room size. We went to look at the Grand Highlander today which has a similar MSRP ($3k more) but with money factors today, it just doesn’t seem reasonable.

We’re not die-hard Toyota fans (although we’ve had one the past 3 cars) so open to any suggestions regarding great deals in or around South Carolina for mid-large size SUVs.

Our lease on the current Highlander isn’t up for another 3 months so I’m just waiting and crossing my fingers interest rates (and money factors) will drop to a reasonable level. That said, we’re also ready to jump on a deal if the opportunity presents! Appreciate any feedback you have or any dealers who can suggest an offer!

Thank you all!

4Runner with 3rd row and msds is a great deal. 51k msrp under 550 with tax tags fees

Pm me if interested.

Jim
215-359-6836

1 Like

Pretty much all the unibodies larger than a Highlander are better as purchases (cash or finance) than leases: GH, Lexus TX, Telluride, Pilot.

You could consider the Palisade

Mazda CX90 and Volvo XC90 are great leases if you qualify for loyalty. IF they are large enough for you.

What’s the sales tax situation in SC? Is it still capped at $500? Honestly that’s the best loophole for buying I’ve ever heard.

Captain chairs or bench? Are you planning to put 3 across or the oldest kid in the third row?

Don’t forget to maximize any equity in the returning Highlander. And TBH that doesn’t sound like a good deal; you can aim for better TCO.

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

I believe the $500 cap is related to a separate fee (on top of tax) called the Infrastructure Maintenance Fee - but I could be wrong - New Fee Beginning July 1, 2017.

Yes, we’d be looking for bench seating as opposed to captain chairs.

We have about $2-3k equity in the Highlander. Their initial offer was $3k down $550/mo. I pushed for $0 drive off and $400/mo but they came back saying best they could do was $0 drive off and $445/mo which I thought was a fair deal. No one at any of the dealerships I’ve been to seems to know what MSDs are either which is weird. When I mention it they just stare at me with this awkward stare.

They pay $500 tax on lease or purchase but they also have personal property tax which isn’t included in thier payments.

Before anything else I recommend taking all your car seats and seeing how well they fit or don’t. Including making sure seat belts remain accessible and practical

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.