Miami vs LA vs NYC debate (but not really about pools)

Rent pretty much tripled since Covid :beach_umbrella:

Not for long…

1 Like

That’s the hoa for a 2br, friends with 3-4brs pay closer to $3000! which is why I rent. My mortgage would be around 7k if I bought the place. Makes no sense the market here is very flipped and makes renting make more sense unless you think houses are going to appreciate further, which they’re not, they’re def coming down.

The prices or the infrastructure of condos in Miami?

2 Likes

So the HOA is like 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the rent? Beyond ridiculous. Or is it included in your rent?

They’ll come down just a tad in the next year before going even higher until the next inevitable crash comes in the next 5 to 10 years.

I rented a spot in Seattle with a $1200 monthly HOA. Paid $2100/month all in. Mortgage + HOA for it was over $5k

3 Likes

It’s included in my rent. My owners paid $550k for my place in 2004. Their taxes condo fees and insurance is close to 2500/mo. So they get a horrible return on invenstment renting. They should have sold it last year for 800k. Now they’re going for around 600-650

2 Likes

Damn so your total rent is $1700/mo? That’s a deal in Miami. I’ve been looking at moving there but need to establish a new business network first.

My rent is 4k. Their costs are around 2500.

I wish I paid 1700. These units did go for that in the 2013-2017 range tho. 1700 gets you a studio in the hood these days in Miami.

2 Likes

Ok that sounds more realistic for MIA. I’ve been looking in Brickell and it’s usually around 3k - 4k or so.

2 Likes

Brickell rents are def coming down. I still get listings emailed to me every week and what was 4500 is under 4k now. So if not in a rush hold out. So many people have bought units to rent and there’s tons of vacancies right now.

Also if you can afford to put 6-12 months down you can get a great deal. I did that when I first moved in and negotiated my first year rent to $3300/mo. After the year was up they tried to raise to 4500. We settled at 4k. Everytbing is very negotiable here in this market.

2 Likes

I want to be out of LA before this winter. Don’t MIA rents always go up after the summer?

That used to be the case but now it’s a year round location it seems. What you will find is great deals now but the lease will end dec 31 bc they either use the place in the winter or raise rents then for seasonal renters.

So might be smart to rent a cheap furnished place temporarily so you can look at places while you live here to see where you really want to live.

If you need any advice feel free to pm me! I have a great realtor that’s super responsive too. Surprisingly that’s hard to find here, I went through 4 people before I found her

My wife is constantly sending me listings for Miami apartments. She can’t wait to go back.

I spent about 4 months there recently so I know it decently well. I spent most of my time downtown, south beach, brickell, edgewater, key biscayne. South area of Brickell near the Key Biscayne bridge was my favorite, but it’s all better than here.

The realtor found that place for you? Or you found it on a listing site like apartments.com?

Come to NYC. You might get a chance to share a room with some of the newcomers that are being sent here. :neutral_face: :no_mouth:

2 Likes

La over Miami any day - Miami has no culture- a little in coconut grove - other than that it’s a whole lot of poor people worshipping the ultra rich

La has a cultural fabric to it

She found it actually and also did my negotiations. I’m pretty seasoned in real estate and she was very helpful navigating the market here while I was in the northeast not able to see places. She toured places and sent me videos etc. no agents would do that at all

Heard LAPD is nicer… they don’t gang up like the nypd :slightly_smiling_face:

Had a place on 23rd and Collins in ‘20-21 -

Was there for art Basel, F1 and a few other times recently.

F1 was lackluster other than that one house party on star island

Basel was fun - but nothing like LA - everytime you go out in Miami - the prices are outrageous without any cultural benefits-

Women in Miami are crap compared to LA - I don’t enjoy miami it’s a shitshow post Covid - during Covid it was nice -

Response to @Jrouleau426

1 Like

When was the last time you were here that you say there’s no culture? Odd statement about one of the most culturally diverse cities in the country

No state income taxes also pays most my rent. What’s “cali culture” worth to you? 12% of your income? Pass

10 Likes