Mesh Wifi System recommendations

So you had a switch that had a ports on subnet A (vlan A) with private addresses, and a port on subnet B (vlan B) with a public address and this switch passed data between these subnets?

That sounds like a router to me LOL

And before you get all crazy on me L3 refers to layer 3 on the OSI model. That is what enables routing between subnets, IP address aware. L2 is only MAC address aware, cannot route between subnets. OK?

ok man we’re all friends here… lets not get all semantics on each other.

It’s all good. I’m sure semantics have more meaning when they pertain to your profession.

If anyone here is renting a router from their provider and it only has 10/100 ports, call them and tell them you want an upgraded one. They haven’t made anything with 10/100 in YEARS. Gig has been around forever, now multi-gig and 10 gig is common. They should at least give you one with 10/100/1000.

What is the point in “leasing” that router if you don’t turn it in every 2 or 3 years and get the latest and greatest?

Just to confirm - the router I am renting from fios is equipped with 10/100/1000 ports. So the router definitely isn’t the issue.

Well call Verizon and open a trouble ticket requesting them to help identify what in your config is limiting all your down-stream wifi connections to 100Mbit. Cuz something seems amiss.

Had the install company back out and they figured out the issue. The poe (power over Ethernet) wasn’t the correct one and was limiting the speeds to the access point. They put on the correct gig poe and voila, WiFi speeds of 250-300+ Mbps. Thanks again for the advice/suggestions.

TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Tri-Band Wi-Fi System with Built-In Smart Hub, 3-pack

Anyone have experience with this unit?

I don’t know if this qualifies as mesh.

I’m still using two of the last generation of AirPort Extreme AC routers, hardwired to each other, so one acts as a repeater.

I think I picked them up refurbished from the Apple store for around $130 each a few years ago.

I have a 100/100 plan from Fios, and I consistently get that speed through my network everywhere in the house.

1 Like

I just bought that (damn you Slickdeals). I like that it’s tri-band. Wifi 6 would be nice, but never going to happen at that price point. It seems to get good reviews and performance tests put it pretty middle of the pack for wifi 5 systems.

garbage. bought like 6 of these things and kept dropping, and then u got set them all up again.
finally went with an eero pro set and never looked back. the best mesh system u can buy for the money. its pricey yes, but u can find it on sale labor day weekend at best buy for 400.

1 Like

:scream::scream::scream:

IIRC I’m 400/25 and I get 98-110% of that, even outside at the edge of my yard (on a canyon where there isn’t even Verizon coverage).

1 Like

I’ve been rocking NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3000 (R7900) router for 2 years now, it’s pretty great. Wireless coverage is awesome, in 3 story house, 1st and 2nd floor are covered without any extenders need. For basement, I did add simple extender, which turned out to be great too, especially for 5Ghz band.

I have FIOS gigabit service, and on a 5Ghz band, I’m getting 160-200Mbps speed, depending on location.

1 Like

2 Pro set was at Costco for $269. But it does not always switch to 5 Ghz and sometimes selects the furthest unit for no reason for static devices.

yes thats the only problem i have with eero, is that sometimes they pick the furthest beacon
400 is the 3 pack :slight_smile:
but the connection on the triband is incredible i easily have 500/500 in my 3800 sqft home

What’s the verdict on a WiFi system for gaming/streaming? Hoping to find something that passes signal off from mesh satellite to satellite effectively and has high throughout.

My boyfriend streams League and WOW, and has had no problems with our TP-LINK Deco M5 system. It works seamlessly for him.

We stream multiple devices on our deco m9 system and it works great. So much better than the stock router system we had before. I’m a fan.

Offered in WiFi 6 version? Didn’t want to spend money to upgrade unless it was next gen.

Deco has some wifi 6 systems. The problem I had when shopping was I could get either wifi 6 and dual band or wifi 5 and tri band for roughly the same price. Stepping up to wifi 6 and tri band got really expensive. Without a wired backhaul, dual band doesn’t interest me.

Go for the Amplifi Alien routers. I wouldn’t get the router and mesh. It’s best to get 2 routers and they connect in a mesh by themselves. Super easy setup and great connection.

I just did this upgrade a couple weeks ago and it is amazing.

1 Like