Mercedes Lease - Windshield Replacement

Hello,

I have a GLC 350e lease and I need to replace my windshield, I’m wondering if the windshield has to be OEM or can I get away with a 3rd party replacement? The difference in price is quite large.

I live in a state where windshield replacements are not free, and my insurance doesn’t cover it.

Many thanks.

When is your lease up? If it is soon, see if you have any positive equity or just could break even. If so, you could probably put in aftermarket and sell it/trade in instead of returning to MBFS. But for return if I remember correctly they do require OEM.

Same here. I replaced with an OEM windshield. Actually MBFS still allows third party buyout, so you can check if you have a positive equity with carvana, carmax, et al.

A cracked windshield is going to have a pretty big adverse affect on any MB resale value.

I’ve returned a MB with a non oem windshield and didn’t have any issues.

Edit- not actually sure it was non oem now that I think about it. It was done through Safelite which is why I assumed it wasn’t oem.

I’ve had an Audi windshield replaced at Safelight and it was oem.

Yeah I just remember not having the Mercedes monogram that all the cars come with so I was unsure if it was actually oem.

I hear now adays replacing a wind shield can be highly expensive due to the fact that the newer cars have those windshield cameras in place and that once they are replaced they have to calibrate the settings again. I’m lucky my insurance has full glass replacement. I didn’t know it varied from state to state.

Don’t ask but I once had to replace 2 windshields on a 36 month 2016 Volvo XC90 lease. Used Safelight both times, they came out and replaced in an hour. non OEM. $600 less than dealership. No issues on return and camera never had to be recalibrated. They now offer to recalibrate it for you but I would take the wait and see approach.

Most insurance policies will put in non OEM glass unless you have an OEM endorsement. That being said I have returned several leased cars with non OEM glass and never had an issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.