Mercedes-Benz just dethroned BMW as the king of luxury cars in America

This confirms what a lot of people said when the residual on BMW went down in November. Interesting that BMW 3 and 5 Series sales are way down.

BMW made a conscious decision not to compete with them this year. They made no money from winning the last couple of years and wanted to focus on higher margin and lower volume. Probably why residuals are lower than they have been historically.

Remember although BMW Financial is a separate entity it is still owned by BMW and accounts for part of their profit. Given how many people lease in the US (Does anyone know the % of sales that are leases?) I can imagine it is pretty easy to manipulate sales based on how attractive your lease offers are.

It is no surprise that the X3 sold really well for them. Run out year and the GLC is quite new and Mercedes were not pushing it.

30,000 car difference just doesn’t seem very significant to me. Almost seems like a rounding error. :stuck_out_tongue: I think Loberant alone has sold that many. :smiley:

~9% is insignificant?

Considering how many cars are sold in the states, it seems pretty insignificant.

You should consider how many cars MB and BMW sold, not how many GM or Ford sold.

maybe their problem is that they’re thinking small? :stuck_out_tongue:

Their “problem” is that they are in the Luxury segment, that does not sell the same amount of cars as others.

1 Like

hah, i’m just joking around.

One thing that would be awesome is if they could somehow take their i8 technology and turn it into something “affordable”. Maybe under 50k? If they could preempt Tesla’s Model 3 with something awesome then they could rock the car market.