Mercedes Benz EQS Lease Superthread - 1

Don’t get me wrong; I love mine even with its quirks. But I’m looking forward to something better. Maybe we’ll get lucky and MB will fix the tuning via an OTA update.

This thread has turned into subjective and not objective anymore…

2 Likes

The stopping distance does not seem to be an issue. I have the EQS SUV 450 4Matic with the all season tires, and the stopping distance seems fine for the weight and size (I couldn’t find an article for the 450 specifically, but this talks about the 580: 2023 Mercedes-EQ EQS580 SUV First Test: A Luxury EV Lost In Translation ; it stopped in 116 feet, while the Rivian R1S, at over 7000 lbs, stopped in 121 feet).

The dynamics of the brake pedal itself (in Strong Regen mode) make it weird to get used to (at least on the SUV), but you do get used to it eventually. It seems like the pedal is not consistently in the same spot when you need to use it. This is indeed different from any other electric car I’ve driven (from the i3, to the Ford Lightning).

From my experience, the car is in-line with what I’d expect from an non-AMG, large Mercedes SUV.

1 Like

You summarized it well. These cars are still amazing value for what you get with an interior quality that is way better than competition

1 Like

I agree 100%. I love the car as well despite some of the very minor “issues” that it has. Best deal I’ve ever gotten on a car and it’s one that I may never beat. Going to enjoy it for the full 24 months.

3 Likes

Black with the Cream Interior is top shelf!

4 Likes

Agree, difficult at first. I drove one of the original sequoias and remember almost rear-ending someone when there was a sudden stop. Thankfully was far enough behind but remember that it took way too long to slow down. Started factoring in even more space after that. Just checked braking on latest model, which also weighs 6k lbs, and it’s 60-0 is 134 feet. Thankful for the extra 20 feet of margin the EQS could provide but still driving it like it won’t.

agree, this is our first EV and braking is something we like while others trash it everyday here lol. I put it on intelligent and never had an issue. It does apply brakes towards the end and I get nervous at times but still does the job and mine is a SUV.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if the EQS SUVs are the first large EVs people have driven.

To be fair,

Nobody should EVER be nervous about their brakes and just as importantly be doubtful to where the brakes are at any given moment.

MB did a bad thing by trying to innovate a brake pedal :joy:

4 Likes

The simple fix to this is to turn off regenerative braking completely on the highway → brakes feel much more linear, and turn it to max when you are going on an off ramp.

I drove a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning for 6 months before the EQS SUV, and the brakes felt much more predictable (this is comparing to the Strong Regen mode on the EQS; and one pedal driving mode on the Ford), and the one-pedal driving actually brought the car to a complete stop for 95%+ of my driving. The EQS SUV does come to a complete stop, but over a considerably longer distance, so most of the times I have to actually use the brake pedal. These 2 cars are comparable in terms of weight.

The other EVs I’ve driven for more extend periods of time, have been indeed lighter: i3, Model S, Model 3, Model Y, Model X.

Reading through some of the posts here, it does seem like this is an “issue” just for the SUV, not for the sedans. I’m not sure what Mercedes tried to do here; it seems over engineered, but maybe fixable via a software update. Normal and No regen modes feel fine, the brake pedal feel is more predictable in those modes.

Note: For me this does not feel unsafe, the brakes have worked well in situations where I’ve needed to stop suddenly (but it’s also expected that they would, it’s a safety feature in the end). But if sufficient folks driving the same car are noticing the same thing, it might be something Mercedes needs to address.

1 Like

thats the problem when you discount, you got cross shoppers that are used to other classes of cars. Imagine Rolls were discounted to $300/mo, you’ll see more comparison and complaints against civics and how it’s not loud enough, feels slow, gas guzzling, and drives like a boat. I love our EQS, having owned s classes in the past, EQS handles fantastically. Is it the best? No, but it’s def a great product. I don’t know if MB deliberately crippled EQS (to make the flagship stand out) but seems like they missed a few fine touches that would’ve made it better

2 Likes

having owned 5 EVs (i3, Etron, Tesla MYP, Tesla MS, EQS (Sedan). Kia EV6 (rented), one-pedal driving effectiveness with Tesla MYP being a 10/10 (predictable strong regen/braking), BMW i3 is close (9/10), Model S (8/10), Audi is 3/10, and Merc is 7/10, Kia (8/10). I recall germans think regen is very inefficient and so I would expect them to not hone into one-pedal driving, in fact i was pleasantly surprised about the EQS strong regen

1 Like

Technically coasting is more efficient when hypermiling.

2 Likes

I see “merc”, and still think Mercury. I must be old.

3 Likes

Loving all these EQS bashing posts. Yeah, nothing to see here, they are awful to drive, not even worth $100/month. Please stop calling the dealers and showing interest. Let those 2023 450 4Matic sedans sit in the lots. Pretty please…

9 Likes

Think About It GIF by Identity

Ben Affleck drives an EQS… u on here Ben??

5 Likes

Ben short for @Benedetto

6 Likes