MD Lease Trade-in Tax Credit

Hi everyone. I recently used leasehackr to score a great deal on a Wrangler 4xe, so thank you! During my deal, the dealer (located in Virginia) told me I could not use my current vehicle as a trade-in credit towards my new lease. They accepted the car, listed it as a trade on the deal sheet and registration, but still charged me the full tax amount on the new vehicle. My registration sheet even shows taxable amount as $18,661 and the total tax collected as $2,769. This works out to 14.8% instead of 6%. When I pressed them on this, they told me their system simply wonā€™t allow for it and I could take it up with the Maryland DMV for a refund.

Has anybody experienced this before? Is the dealer correct? If not, do I need to press the dealer for a refund or will the DMV provide me with one, since it is a collected tax?

what is the 18k amount?

That is the taxable amount according to the MD title application the dealer filled out.
Selling price: $53,661.92
Trade-in Allowance: $35,000
Taxable Price: $18661.92
Gross Tax Collected: $2769.72

and MD allows lowering the tax liability w a trade on a lease??

1. A Dealer telling you something wrong to get you to come in? Sure
  2. No, crossing state purchases they cannot apply another stateā€™s tax creditsā€¦(AFAIK, there might be some kind of ā€˜agreementā€™ but most states donā€™t communicate with each other for taxes)
  3. Good luck, I doubt you will get it.
  4. You can always ask the DMV, but since you traded it in VA and not MD, I doubt they will give you a refund either.

From what I understand, yes. I read the Maryland code regarding trade-in credits and it seems to allow this.

Dealers must follow the tax code of the state the vehicle will be registered in, no? I donā€™t see how this situation would be different.

Thatā€™s for Collecting Tax, not refunding tax. They donā€™t have a MD license so they would remit it under ā€˜use taxā€™ and donā€™t have a line in their forms for ā€˜trade inā€™.

This isnā€™t a tax refund though. They collected too much tax according to the Title Application they filled out. I edited my original post to include a screenshot of it.

Yes, this is where it gets ā€˜stickyā€™, the MD dealer portion is emptyā€¦
The text here implies they have a Maryland Dealer Certification, which a VA dealer would not have.

Right, but according to section B:
B. When applying a trade-in allowance, a dealer shall:

(1) Complete the Maryland Dealerā€™s Certification portion of the application for title; or

(2) Provide an original bill of sale showing the certified selling price and amount of the trade-in allowance.

ā€œorā€ bolded by me. There is an original bill of sale accompanying the title app, I just didnā€™t include it in this post.

But you forgot that All sections must be valid and Section C is invalid now. Heā€™s not a licensed MD dealer.

Section F is where you have a slight chance of getting tax refund from the State.

I think you are reading Section C wrong. Section C (5) describes what licensed Maryland dealers must do, but that doesnā€™t imply that you must be a licensed Maryland dealer for Section C to be valid.

Iā€™m not trying to give you a hard time either, Iā€™m not a law expert and I appreciate you reading through this as well. My current plan is to give the DMV a visit after I receive my plates to try and work it out. Was mostly wondering if any MD residents have done the same thing as me in the past and successfully gotten the trade-in credit.

Iā€™m not a Law expert but I do have a bit of experience in Sales Tax, states do not like to refund sales tax and so far only CAā€™s 10 day rule has caught me off guard.

Once a mistake on Sales Tax has been made itā€™s such a nasty uphill battle.
Filling out over 100 Plus forms each month I get to see how taxes are applied / refunded each time.
(Yes over 100, counties and cities and little tiny Munis sometimes wants their own form. In some cases the STAMP is over than the amount remitted)

I donā€™t see a date on your purchase but I just realized if it hasnā€™t been funded yet you can ask the Dealer to unwind and redo the sale with the proper tax. (If they really CAN do it and they didnā€™t just tell you that)

Yeah I did press them quite a bit and they said they just couldnā€™t do it. Iā€™m expecting this to be a pain if I go the DMV route, but I have to imagine that if too much tax was collected and paid to the state of Maryland, it can be refunded somehow. Fingers crossed I can get a helpful DMV employee that understands my issue.

In any case, I appreciate your insight. This additional tax isnā€™t a make or break for me, as I was still saving a ton through this dealer anyways. But if $1600 is on the table, Iā€™m gonna try my best to get it.

1 Like

What type of vehicle were you looking to trade in?

I already traded the vehicle and completed the sale. But I was leasing a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid, and traded that for a 2022 Wrangler 4xe Sahara lease.

VA does not give you tax credit while MD does. Thatā€™s the difference.

I bought a car in VA a couple of years ago. I was a NJ resident at the time. I signed a form attesting that I was not a VA resident and not responsible for VA tax. The dealer collected NJ tax and DMV fees and registered my car in NJ. I was credited for the trade in on the sales tax calculation.

You were credited by NJ, right? I stated the fact about states handling it differently. How individual dealers do it - I donā€™t know.