Mazda Radar cruise control and emergency braking

I will be in the market sometime for a car with adaptive cruise control. Given the premium interior and good handling, I am looking for a mazda (preferrably CX-30, but open to cx-3, or mazda3). This will be a road trip car. So, Adaptive cruise is a must have feature. However, when searched online, I see many customers complaining about mazda radar cruise control behaving oddly and often times making crazy decisions. I also hear about phantom braking from the emergency braking feature. I would like to hear from mazda owners if this issue is very common or it has been fixed through any firmware update. I don’t want to make the purchase and later realize that the feature is not usable at all. Thanks in advance.

I’ve had a cx5 with the radar cruise control for 3 years and have never had an issue.

You’ll see this from every manufacturer, people complaint. Excuse they don’t understand how it works.

It’s not an intelligent system, it has a radar array, if it senses your speed approach theirs too quickly it’ll flash brake and sound a beep, but you have to be really close for it to do it.

On the cruise control front if the person ahead of you is slowing down for a turn it’ll slow down even if 95% of the car is on the shoulder, you have to move out a bit for the radar to have a clear lane to speed back up.

2 Likes

I had a 2019 Mazda 3 hatchback with this feature, and I had 2 errant “phantom” brake stops. luckily neither of them were in any situation where I was in danger to myself or other vehicles on the road, and the recalls on these cars to address that exact issue fixed that for me.

2 Likes