MA and out-state registration

Hello,

First time starting a lease from a dealership in Massachusetts. However, I’m registering the vehicle in another state, and according to the dealer, MA has some weird rules so that I cannot drive away with a temporary tag. The dealer therefore has to register the vehicle on my behalf before I can take delivery.

1. Is this something legit? I wasn’t able to find many posts on this issue. How do others registering their MA lease/purchase in another state?

2. How long does the process typically take? It’s been two weeks since I signed and wired the money. But the dealer says they are using a 3-rd party service so the process is out of their control. The wait is somewhat annoying especially considering I’m paying for the lease and insurance charges but without the car. :frowning:

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Thats correct

MA doesnt issue temp tags so the car cannot leave the lot until its properly registered.

Depending on your state it could take 2-4 weeks

I’m in the same boat as you. I’m at 2-1/2 weeks right now. Leased an Audi Q8 and signed paperwork on 09/22.

Awaiting an update from the SM. They apparently also sent the odometer statement incorrectly and had to send it again.

Thanks for the information!
Is there any way / anything I can do to expedite the process? I’m registering in Michigan.

I’m sorry to hear that. Do you know if your dealer is doing the registration work themselves or using a third party service? And - if you don’t mind sharing - which state are you registering it in?
Hope you get yours soon!

I believe they are using a third party service as well. I’m registering the car in Florida. Things here are normally pretty quick.

No doubt
They must have explained this in advance

It was explained to me. I understood.

However, I’m not a fan of the BS they pulled on me when it came to e-signing the docs with this dealer.

It was explained to me as well. But I underestimated how excruciating the wait is :slight_smile:
What’s about e-signing and docs?

I was replying to the OP

1 Like

Everything was agreed upon before running credit and signing paperwork. During e-sign, the finance manager tells me that my due at signing is more than what I had agreed on with the sales manager. Proceeds to tell me that it never included first month payment. There was a whole ordeal with that.

Oldest FI manager move in the book

1 Like

Yeah man. I’ve never had that issue before. Had to end up eating it. Pissed me off.

Wow!

The Sales manager you agreed to the deal with didn’t correct it?

Now I’m curious which store

No man. Can you believe that?

I’ll PM you now

Hey, it’s been another week, have you got the car yet?

Nothing yet. And it’s never a concrete update from the sales manager. Starting to lose a little bit of patience.

How about you?

Nothing yet. Also losing patience and the new car excitement :frowning:

I actually just received an email that my plates arrived. I can have the car picked up already.

Hope your plates get there this week

1 Like

Congrats! Enjoy your new ride :slight_smile: !!

1 Like