M340 Owners PSA - New Flash Recall - Avoid like the plague

Is this recall also affecting 330i’s? I have a dealer appointment tomorrow for an oil change and don’t want this to happen lol.

What’s your payment? Maybe someone will take over it.

Just refuse the back-up camera software flash recall if you’re concerned. My guess is this is M340 specific though.

I’d prefer not to get rid of it, and hope they can save it! My payment is $570 a month. It was a true sign and drive on a 36/12.

According to this article, almost all BMWs built since 2018 are subject to the recall.

Yes, but I’m guessing it’s only causing the issue in the 2020 M340’s. Pure speculation but have a few friends driving 2019 330’s and had the update done without issue.

Really? That’s not good. Source?

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638852

1 Like

Final update for awhile… after corporate did their diagnosis of the car they determined the flash destroyed all cameras (front, side, rear) as well as the infotainment center. They ordered parts from Germany that are expected to be delivered in 4 weeks. The dealer was as nice as they could be about it, but what a mess. Keep those M340’s away from the dealers! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I understand bricking the infotainment, but cameras?

I won’t pretend to be an expert, but that’s what the service advisor just called and told me. He said all came back “failed” when running their tests and need replaced. Whether it was an onsite BMW tech or a corporate software engineer, someone messed up good!

I would be insisting that they give me a new car at this point.

Rest assured, BMW is compensating me for the inconvenience. If they weren’t, I would be doing just that. If there is any hiccup once the new parts arrive, I will insist on it.

If you do take your vehicle to service and you have a recall or stop sale it must be completed before they return the car to you.

It is a recall/stop sale for a reason.

Still a crappy situation to be in regardless.

Makes sense. Sounds like just avoid the dealer as long as you can without going over the service mileage restrictions of the lease.

Dropped car off this morning, recall on my 330i was for the glovebox? not sure exactly but glad it wasn’t the camera issue.

It has been reported that virtually all 2019 - 2020 BMWs, including the 330i, are affected by the recall. So I suspect they will be doing the camera recall work on your vehicle.

The fact that they sent a manufacturer rep to check out your car seems to indicate this is a pretty rare problem for them. N of 1 doesn’t make a strong case for telling people to avoid their recall “like the plague.”

Also, there is zero chance they were “over boosting the cars prior to delivery” and detuning them now. Zero

Sounds like I need to buy you a stiff drink! I’d encourage you not to pretend you have a full scope of the situation either. The corporate tech remoted in via Internet. Also, sorry to report they didn’t share how many other cars they bricked if you can believe it. Probably something they want to keep close to the vest!

But considering you know my car is the only one and there’s a zero percent chance on the over boost, this must make you BMW President of North America? Nice to meet you!

Your n = exactly 1.
That’s not statistically significant nor reason to tell drivers to ignore safety recalls “like the plague.”

Electronics can be fried by bad flash computers which is probably what happened here

The over boosting claim doesn’t even warrant reply haha.