M340 Owners PSA - New Flash Recall - Avoid like the plague

Just an FYI for M340 owners. My backup camera totally stopped working 2 days ago. BMW is well aware of this and there is a recent recall for this issue on the model. As a result, they have released a flash for the car. This flash bricked my entire infotainment system. The dealer is on day 3 currently and has had to call corporate in order to figure out what the next steps are. A word to the wise… don’t rush in to the dealer for this flash or refuse the flash in the near term while they sort all of this out.

@nyclife @kubikdanon

9 Likes

Oh no :frowning:

Hope everything works itself out and they gave you a nice loaner in the meantime!

2 Likes

I wish they gave me a nice loaner. I have an end of life 330. Don’t worry, not your dealer! @kubikdanon knows which dealer I’m referring to though! Haha. The most recent update is they’re having a tech remote in from corporate… stay tuned!

1 Like

M340 loaners are too rich for our bloods :wink:

1 Like

Lol! I would’ve settled for any 2020 or a 5 series. I’m sure it will be on your spreadsheet by the time I get my car back! :smile:

2 Likes

Final update of the day:

Not getting my car back today. BMW corporate has taken over the car. They will not let anyone at the dealership touch the car currently. I’d like to think they’re trying to figure out how to not brick every M340 coming into dealerships for regular maintenance :upside_down_face:

EDIT: They’re now keeping it all weekend.

Yeah, I’ve used a few different dealers for loaners. Tried a new dealership for my last service (2019 430 GC) and they gave me a 2020 Z4 M40 loaner. That was fun!

1 Like

Z4 M40i loaner! Now that is fun!

Yeah, Dan. What kind of shop are you guys running over there? You may as well of just given me a Kia Rio.

You should text me and I’ll let you know which dealer to go to for your next service which might give you something fancy and fun :wink:

1 Like

I also regret having this recall addressed when I was encountering no symptoms.

It took the local dealer three attempts to reprogram the computer, resulting in an unplanned overnight stay, but it looks like it could have been worse.

1 Like

No chance I would’ve have, if mine didn’t completely go out. I forgot how to back up without one of those things! :rofl:

My mother claims that she uses her backup camera to see what she’s backing into…

3 Likes

You guys are doing it wrong!

1. Always respectfully demand a loaner better than yours. If none immediately available, try to schedule in advance to reserve.
  2. Take your time picking up the car (some BMW dealers give you 24-48 hours after completion, most I’ve dealt with are flexible)
  3. Drive your loaner like you stole it!
2 Likes

I did the update last month, so far no issues with camera but my car now suffers frequent throttle lag in comfort mode which is not good. Regarding the loaner, i was given a rental Altima, frankly the crappiest car in existence today. A 90’s accord drives better than that POS. Luckily they only had my car for 2 days. The only good thing getting the camera update was that a later version of Idrive was installed which resolve all my connected drive issues. No more car play issues, digital key etc now works as intended.

Oh, forgot that aside from the throttle delay and my car now feeling slower, the front camera no longer works where i could see in front of the car. Only reverse camera works. Before i could see in front when shifting from Park into drive etc.

1 Like

I did hear a rumor of the M340’s being over tuned at delivery and they did indeed throttle them back. I do find it ridiculous, but I guess it’s what they have to do.

Is there a hierarchy posted somewhere?

I would explain why I’m asking, but that would just trigger @Richie1.

Day 5 update: restoration process failed by corporate tech during reprogramming of the engine. They are attempting again…

How a backup camera issue turns into needing to reprogram the engine is beyond me!

Keep those M340’s away from your dealers!!!

Need some hacker advice. Received word today that the re-work failed and they’re back to square one. Is this something that I need to pursue lemon law on? We are going on a week and they have made zero progress. This is all brand new to me. @nyclife

Unfortunately you have a couple more weeks before the lemon law can be started, just let them sort it out, and maybe talk to bmw about your payment etc. not having your car

1 Like