Lumber Prices on Rise

Anyone notice this at Home Depot?

2 Likes

Yes, wood prices have been ridiculous lately

1 Like

Yup - just bought some cedar boards for the wife’s veggie patch - crazy pricing

My parents bought a lot and are waiting for lumber prices to drop. Doesn’t make sense to start building while they are this high. Shocked they haven’t fallen yet considering that in the fall they were supposed to be “normal” by now

1 Like

Anyone tried selling wooden horse to Carvana yet?

9 Likes

Inflation. It’s here.

Inflation is a known side effect of Brrrrrrrrrr. Other side effects of irresponsible printer usage include irrational exuberance, housing and tech bubbles, and quantitative easing.

Commodities :rocket::rocket::rocket:

8 Likes

This is the new normal. Prices may drop a little bit eventually but they won’t reach pre-Covid prices again.

Everyone has already proven the market. If anything building and remodeling are picking up.

3 Likes

Except for the fact that this money printer the fed has conjured up will eventually run out of steam, and then when the common man can’t afford the mortgages and leases that are well beyond their means… well well well

3 Likes

In part, yes, but also supply was dramatically cut in the great recession…lumber companies went under, less new planting (about 10 yrs to maturity), so less supply now.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/42663

They talked about it on a podcast, forgot if it was 99% invisible, planet money, or freakinomics.

2 Likes

Saw mills are at capacity, and demand is sky high. Companies are starting to buy forward contracts on lumber. It’s becoming possible for a melt up in pricing (as with other commodities) shortly. We have a remodel that had to adjust pricing 40 percent in a month,…

1 Like

It’s happening all over…

Yesterday I paid $416 to fly one way from San Diego to Columbus in a couple of weeks (booked in AA Main Cabin).

I took a less-than-convenient route (through Charlotte :face_vomiting: ) than I normally would, which saved more than $100.

The times aren’t ideal either.

The airlines are doing weird stuff too.

I’ve got a trip coming up in June. Southwest canceled all 5 of my flights and then rebooked me on random stuff.

Changed my Orlando → Denver → Sacramento flight to Orlando → Virginia → Denver and just gave up on going from Denver to Sacramento. Changed one of my other layovers from a 2.5 hour layover to a negative 35 minute layover.

The schedules are going back to normal as demand picks up, so everything is moving around.

A flight attendant on a recent AA flight told me that every single plane they’d grounded due to low demand would be back in operation in May.

I don’t usually book very far in advance (usually 1-2 weeks), so I haven’t encountered much of that, but a trip my mother’s taking later this month has had three schedule changes. So far.

Also, everyone (but me) that’s traveling right now is wearing sweat pants.

3 Likes

A schedule change is one thing but “meh, we are just going to leave you in the middle of the country. Hope that’s cool” is a little different.

I read your post too fast and picked up on the routing change, but missed that last part. :eyes:

Sorry to hear that; I’m not a big fan of Denver (it’s basically Omaha with better mountain access).

1 Like

Not for nothing but lumber prices have been on the rise for the last 2 years, not the last 2 days!!!

The spike has been incredibly insane but at the trajectory its moving its going to be nearly impossible to see this trend continue. It’s NOT just lumber prices but nearly every asset class known to man, something is eventually going to give and there will be a collapse in all asset prices across every and each sector of the market.

Funny thing is that the federal reserve believes there is NOOO inflation

:rofl:

1 Like

So glad you are one of the only few people who know the actual reason for these rising asset prices. It is nearly 99.9999% the fed and their money printer. Everything is going gangbusters with pricing and guess what, the fed still believes there is no inflation. How could anyone possibly believe there is no inflation. We are pricing ourselves out of this market with every asset class rising in price faster than wages can keep up. I’m telling you the market is going to correct with great velocity soon. No way no how this market can sustain these ludacris pricing increases.

I don’t agree that the money printer caused this much inflation this quickly. A lot of our new money isn’t printed either way, it’s bonds from China.

We have supply issues accross all sectors, lumber being one of them.

You’re a bit behind the times, if you’re just noticing this now. My company’s primary raw material purchased is lumber. I’ve been seeing price increases for quite awhile. There are several specific materials that we are seeing a 2,3,4X the “normal” price. The market is insane. I’ve told people the crazy part is -the issue is not the lack of people’s available money, it is the inability to get your hands on some of this stuff.