LPT as seen on Reddit: update your auto insurance to reflect work from home commute mileage

Saw this on Reddit, and it makes sense.

You should be able to save a few bucks a month while we are on lockdown.

3 Likes

I have Metromile, which is convenient for this same reason. But I was just thinking this the other day for those that don’t have pay per mile.

1 Like

thanks. geico reduced premium by 400 over 6 months. all done online.
anyone looking to make a geico change, go into edit vehicle. change the address slightly (i changed ave to avenue) and that will let you know trigger mileage change.
i reduced miles per year from 12k to 6k on both my cars

3 Likes

I didn’t realize people were actually truthful about this… :grimacing:

4 Likes

They raised my payment because I went in to get an oil change and they must have updated the mileage on my car in the database. I called and was told I wasn’t being upfront and obviously driving the car more than I indicated. I still don’t get it cuz I leased for 12k, now 2 yrs and 10 months later I’m at 30k total. But whatever, just money.

2 Likes

Always say approx 5k miles a year. Car is used weekends only and for pleasure (It is, really.)

It’s not lying, if they ever check, you can always say it changed on you unexpectedly as you had to drive alittle more . Never happened to me, tho…

I guess they can check if the vehicle gets reported on its “report card” like when the dealer services it (gets reported with mileage) or when an annual inspection gets done (the State reports it) or an accident etc.

Basically it’s car fax report…

GEICO used to ask for signed annual mileage statements. But only for lower mile/year accounts. I was 3k/year at the time since I lived a mile from work (and walked) back then.