Looks like Tesla has brought back free supercharger access? (In stock units only)

I didn’t see this posted anywhere yet, but on Slickdeals someone posted a Tesla link that was offering free lifetime Supercharger access if you bought a Model S or Model X from inventory. Maybe some deals might be on the horizon if they are serious about blowing out old stock? I guess it all depends on whether or not you think the Superchargers (and the company) will be around for 3 years, but it’s nice to see it back.

This makes sense to me, steers people to their more expensive/profitable cars and helps clears out old inventory. I would guess superchargers are going to continue to be available for many years since I don’t think Tesla is going to go bankrupt, they may get bought out but the purchaser will have to honor existing contracts - although I would be interested to see what the contract says about supercharger availability.

But I wonder if free charging really matters to many people. If you are buying a 70k-110k car, do you really care about spending a few bucks on juice? Free charging matters for the cheapest EVs but is so little money in the grand scheme of things on Model S and Model X vehicles. If 20 bucks a month in juice matter to you, just buy a Camry or X5 for tens of thousands less.

1 Like