Looking at leasing an SUV, never leased before

Ford Explorer or Highlander maybe? Edmunds was showing that the residual is not great but they are offering 2k or so in incentives and the APR wasn’t bad. Mentioned the Highlander because I have seen threads on here with people getting them in the high 300 low 400.

I’d say it’s more complicated than that. Honda is pretty unique and they do things that other manufacturers don’t, to preserve resale value. The biggest thing they do is no fleet sales, or more accurately no fleet discounts. They are also fairly conservative with their production forecasts and usually stick to the plan.

1 Like

Minimal fleet is huge for not depressing used car values along with good forecasting of production. Not having 20% off sales every quarter to let go of bloated inventories, not propping up leases with subvented rates/residuals doesn’t hurt either. Brand perception also comes into play. People think of longevity with Japanese makes. People still consider American cars to be junk based on past mistakes of the 80s and 90s.

Correct, and it all ties together with my point- when new vehicles are discounted, the used ones don’t retain their value.

It doesn’t matter whether a lease is cheap because of extra incentives, artificially inflated RV or a minimal rent charge; these are all just ways of discounting.

Did you make a decision on an SUV? The best deal I can find is the Infiniti QX60. I wanted captain chairs, but the Enclave, Traverse and Pilot are higher monthly payment.

I’m curious if you found a car? I’ve been looking at the two you originally mentioned. Looking more like I’ll find a deal on a Sorento than on the Pilot. (Hoping for sub $400 with 0 out of pocket)

I went with pilot, EXL. Mostly because it is larger (more space) and had higher safety ratings. $420/ mo. $2000 down (in form of my old 2005 jeep). 36/12. I could see myself buying the car towards end of lease.