Long period of non-coverage (work covered), what to expect?

I haven’t had personal car insurance for quite a long time (at least 8 years) since my company provides me with a personal car that I drive for everything with insurance covered by the company. My personal rentals were covered by the Chase Reserve card. Now I’m looking to lease a luxury car for ourselves and I learned the wide gap of no coverage might be an issue possibly in higher quotes or companies not wanting to insure me.

Any tips or advice? My SO has her own car and she’s had insurance but she even had a 1 month gap with geico and they wouldn’t even let her renew, just flat out dropped her.

I’m in SF Bay Area, btw.

Wait for better answers, but can you get a liability-only policy for several months and then add a vehicle later to mitigate this?

Do you have umbrella coverage now? How are you handling personal liability risk?

1 Like

Well, this is one of those situations where I’d call around and get a few quotes first, before asking for advice here, rather than the other way around.

It might not be as bad as you think, or it may be worse, but it’s hard to provide much more help until you know what you’re dealing with.