Live in Texas - Lease from Another State - Allowed?

Currently live in Texas. We are getting a better lease (saving ~$400+/month) by potentially leasing from GA/NC/SC. Browsed Texas DMV and it seems out of state car must be registered in TX within 30 days of it being brought back . A few questions

• Has anyone done this before?
  • Taxes would have to be adjusted/paid because TX charges on selling price, right?
  • What should I advise the dealer so that they aren’t registering/titling in GA for example (assuming they can register for me in TX)?

Any tips/recommendations?

Your dealer should know they should be charging you full Texas sales tax of 6.25% on the sale price less incentives.

2 Likes

Hi - but if the dealer is in another state how would they know the other state’s rules? Or are car dealers pretty aware when it comes to these situations?

Your dealer (should) have tools they use to figure out the appropriate tax and registration.

We do. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

this is knowledge - props for your feedback and sound words!

1 Like

I’ve leased from out of state before. Dealer collected the full 6.25% sales tax and paid state of TX. In my situation even paying the sales tax was more advantageous than getting tax credits from in state dealers that were offering little discount.

1 Like

Just moved to TX. Any recommendation on dealers/agents from out of state? Currently looking for a Hyundai.

Check the Marketplace forum

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.