List of places to sell or value your car online

What happened to CarBingo?

I recently completed a private sale of a used car in SoCal, and found FB marketplace to be by far the best. Also listed it on craigslist and cars.com but nearly all the inquiries came from FB marketplace. Both the quantity and quality of inquiries were better than FB.

There is lot of filtering you have to do, but from FB marketplace you can click on the person’s FB profile and quickly see if they are legit based on profile description, photos, friends, etc. And you can tell a lot from the person’s messaging. For example, I put in the ad that “If ad is still up, then car is available” yet many people would only ask “Is the car still available?” Easy to ignore those inquiries and not respond.

4 Likes

Where is the best place/best offers to sell an acura lease? I have a 2021 Rdx but looking at buying a Truck. Thanks for any help.

A honda or acura dealer or dealer affiliated with one since honda financial does not allow 3rd party buyouts.

Im curious if these manual appraisals do anything except throw darts on the board. Within 2 weeks, My offer has gone up by 4k and then come down by 6k. All within a span of 14 days…

I have removed this link from the OP due to a clear consensus forming from their reviews here. If anyone wants they can still click the links below.

AllCars (Direct Link || LH Review Thread)

3 Likes

Just a suggestion, but maybe instead of removing bad ones, we group them differently, or add another column for “recommend” status. This way people who discover them on their own know not to bother if they come across this post. Also, if we are pulling the sketchy ones, a few others on this list would fall into my “not recommended” status.

I like notion of “LH Preferred/Recommended”

Ask M&V if they want to give out LH seal of approval :slightly_smiling_face:
Community Preferred/Recommended”?

I’ve gone ahead and updated the table structure using some basic markdown to make it easier to add additional columns, and to just generally clean-up the look. If anyone objects, I can revert.

1 Like

looks good. nice work.

1 Like

Worth discussing for sure

1 Like

I think we can remove the last column because we are not recommending or endorsing anyone here.

well leasehackr isn’t, in and of itself, but the “members” are. maybe it could be retitled to something like ‘Positive Member Reviews’ ‘Members Had Good Experience’ and have a + or * count?

1 Like

I’m helping a dear friend find a buyer for her father’s car, which he can no longer use due to serious health issues. :frowning:

When I volunteered to help, I wasn’t (and she wasn’t) aware that the car had been in an accident.

I learned this when I made the first attempt to get an offer from a reputable local dealer, and was politely declined because there’s an airbag deployment on the VHR.

Setting aside the diminished value for a moment, should I even bother with the usual suspects above?

I know it doesn’t take a lot of time to copy/paste a VIN and answer some basic questions, but I don’t want to start down that road if it’s just going to be a bunch of dead ends (no offers).

(Car is a 2017 530i with < 7,000 miles, if that matters).

1 Like

It’s generally the same process in my opinion. A lot of the online players will give you a lower quote since they usually would just send that to auction. Might be able to get more selling to a private party

1 Like

Reasonable offers with the diminished value baked in are fine (and expected). I was concerned that I may not get any offers at all.

Private party isn’t an option (the family doesn’t have the time / energy under the circumstances).

The other option is consignment. That’s how I sold my E500 several years ago. I got about 40% more than Carmax offered me, even after the 10% fee.

I know/trust the place I used for consignment before (it’s the indie mechanic that I used for the MB and that I’m using now for my BMW), and her dad’s car is in the same city.

The downside to consignment is that it will take longer, and while we’d most likely get a better price on any given day than from one of the online buyers, that day may be 60 days away - and the market is declining.

2 Likes

You’ll get an offer. I’d try some of the lower tier used car lots as well as dealers.

1 Like

I would. The small amount of time needed is well worth it for the possibility of a quick, clean exit versus consigning, private party, etc.

1 Like

Somewhat off topic, but related to the process…

Will these buyers require smog certification and registration renewal before completion of sale and transfer of ownership? For example, if the registration due date is 10/04/2022 and the sale is completed prior to this date can I avoid having to pay those expenses? After the renewal due date lapses am I on the hook for one, the other or both expenses prior to selling?

Thank you,