List of Lenders that Allow Lease Buyouts without Dealer

As new car prices soar, many lessees are finding it worthwhile to purchase their leased vehicle at lease-end to keep for several years, or in some cases, to sell it immediately for a profit. It could be considerably cheaper to buy out an existing lease than to pay the market price for an equivalent used car.

The terms of the purchase option can be found in the lease contract, but in general, the purchase option amount is always the residual value of the lease. On top of that, there may be a nominal purchase option fee, plus the usual taxes, license, and registration.

Unfortunately, some lenders are requiring lessees to go through a dealer to exercise the purchase option, instead of selling the vehicle directly to the lessee.

Once at the dealer, lessees are finding that dealers are charging bogus fees and sneaking in thousands of dollars for what amounts to paperwork. Below is a list of lenders, organized by those who do and do not require lessees to go through a dealer, in order to exercise the purchase option.

Feel free to edit this Wiki directly and include any other insight you may have on the lender.

Lenders that REQUIRE Lessees to go through a Dealer for Purchase Option

• Nissan Motor Acceptance Company / Infiniti Financial Services - for owners in Illinois and Ohio only, all other states can now (10/June/2022) buy-out directly

Lenders that ALLOW Lessees to Directly Purchase their Leased Vehicle

• Audi Financial Services
  • BMW Financial Services
  • Chrysler Capital (Florida)
  • GM Financial
  • Honda Financial Services
  • Toyota Financial Services
  • VW Credit

Note: Ability to purchase directly from lender may depend on state. For example, GM Financial customers located in AZ, AR, CO, FL, HI, KS, NC, PA, SD and VT can’t purchase their vehicles directly from GM Financial; residents of these states will need to visit a GM dealership to purchase.

If buying out your leased vehicle through a dealership, do shop around to find a dealer that will charge the lowest fees. If the cost is minimal, it may be worthwhile to go through a dealer simply to not deal with the DMV yourself, and to explore financing and warranty options (See How To Buy Out Your BMW Lease).

This list is based on community submissions and is subject to change at any time. THIS LIST IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONTACTING YOUR LENDER TO CONFIRM.

7 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that there are some states that have requirements that you go through a dealer, even if the brand doesn’t normally require a buy out in this fashion. Nissan/Infiniti requires you to go through a dealer, regardless of if you’re in a state that doesn’t require it.

For example, I can attest through personal experience that Audi and Hyundai allow you to buy out directly in most states, but require you to go through a dealer if you’re in Florida.

2 Likes

Thanks for the plug Michael! I’ve already assisted so many people that found me through the Lease Buyout Guide. It truly is a simple process and much more efficient than trying to purchase your lease from BMW Financial “directly”.

1 Like

I updated to add that Chrysler Capital did not require me to go through a dealer in Florida.

EDIT (12/9/2021): I have moved on to another opportunity with another brand, so I can no longer help with any lease buyouts. Thank you, it’s been a pleasure working with you all.

Anyone interested in buying out their Nissan/Infiniti that doesn’t want to go through their local dealer can go through me if they’d like.

The only fees we charge on top of tax, dmv and the nmac/ifs purchase fee are a $599 doc fee and $180+tax multi-point inspection.

Alternatively, if you’re just looking to cash out a bit of equity on your car, I may be able to save you the headache entirely.

5 Likes

Is that offer good for NY/NJ locals only?

I’d prefer anyone outside of PA or the tri-state area refrain from contacting me so I don’t have to deal with the extra paperwork but…if they’re willing to make the drive from further than that I wouldn’t turn them down.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: List of Lenders that Allow for Third-Party Buyouts

If I want to buy-out the car I’ve driven for the past 24-36mos, why do I need to pay $180 for a multi-point inspection. If there is something wrong w/ the car, I would bring it in for service under the warranty.

While I realize the Nissan may normally include/require that, but I assume with your offer you are trying to offer us something that makes the process easier and saves us monies? Please explain if you are saving us anything.

You’re more than welcome to go through your local dealer and work with them if you don’t like it! I make no profit whatsoever from the deal, I just offered it as a courtesy to anyone on LH that has a problematic local dealer.

It’s part of my dealer’s process, we do it to cover ourselves and disclose the condition of the car to you because technically you’re buying it “as-is”.

You’re not buying your car from Infiniti directly, it’s basically us buying it from the bank and immediately reselling it to you “as-is”.

1 Like

was it a rogue i sold you or a murano? if murano, do not buy it out. it’s still underwater.

Aronchi - I am really curious about your comment on the Murano - I have an 18 coming off lease and the dealer trade offer is $1500 over the buyout and for some reason Carmax wants to offer me $6000 over the buyout. I wouldn’t think that would be underwater.

b/c 2019 muranos were sold on 24 month leases and like 71% RVs.

2 Likes

Mike it was a '19 Murano w/ VPP. I’ve been watching and don’t see anything close to the current lease here on LH. I think I’ll be close to $400/mo for anything similar, so my thought was to buy this out and use for 4-6mos and sell when its around 32mos old.

That gets me thru the Holidays and hopefully back to work.

This is interesting to me because I thought in FL all lease buyouts had to go thru a dealer.

My wife’s Mazda CX-5, leased via Chase, may be purchased directly thru Chase perhaps?

When I bought out my Audi in January, I cross shopped amongst all my local dealerships until I found one that actually didn’t charge me a dealer fee amongst other bs fees. Paid registration + maybe a 200$ doc fee iirc. Annoying, but better than the 1-2k garbage that most others tried tacking on.

There’s a way around it if the bank has a physical location and dealer’s license in the state (I believe those are the requirements)

1 Like

I purchased directly from NMAC in back in July. Did not go though a dealership. I’m in NJ.

1 Like

I have two 2019 nissan rogue sports that I leased through a dealership in NJ in 2019. Both of the leases are up in 2022 and have a buyout option of about 15k each. The dealership called me today and said the taxes and fees will add about another 2500-3k for each car. Taxes alone would be 1k. How do I avoid paying these ridiculous extra fees?

You go online to your NMAC account and see if there is a way to pay them direct as an option. Some people show more than 1 option on the ‘how pay’ area. Some people don’t get this option especially in Florida.

I called the dealer for info on buying out my lease early. Toyota lists it as an option at about $1000 more than waiting for lease end but I’ve got about $1400 more in payments. I wondered what kind of fees I would be looking at. The guy at the dealership acted like I was interrupting his nap and told me to get ahold of Toyota directly and pay it off. So I’ll get a credit union loan that won’t have a “Rule Of 78s” penalty and pay it off.