Liquid Savings and CDs - Where Do You Keep Your Cash?

I keep a chunk of cash on the sidelines in Ally savings 2.xx% and I can do with it as I please. Rather not lock it in somewhere for <1% more

2 Likes

I’ve bought several Tbills ranging from 90 day to 18 months. And a few 24 month CDs.

We recently started buying Treasuries through Fidelity Investments. Much easier than dealing directly through Treasury Direct. Fidelity and Vanguard are offering brokered CDs at much higher rates than local banks.

1 Like

What’s DOC?

Shorthand for Doctor of Credit.

1 Like

I prefer money market funds for 24 hr liquidity. Not the best return in interest. But the goal is to have purchasing power without selling things to trigger capital gains.

I do the Schwab one and it lets me take advantage of the pledge asset lines

Update; membership app started to NASA FCU. Best rate for sub 1yr I could find.

I found a CD for 3.6% through Banesco min $1500, 1 yr term.

Quorum FCU has an interesting product I found through BankRate, but I haven’t done any DD on if they are legit yet (first glance, says they are a FCU), rates seem too good to be true. High yield term savings, with rates as high as 4.1% APY.

1 Like

This has narrow appeal (anyone have a 10-year-old who’s looking for a savings account?), but it’s worth mentioning for those cases.

It obviously doesn’t make sense to keep a balance > $1,000.

I identify as a 9 year old. Close enough?

1 Like

It’s 2022…anything goes

Boo Boo Boomba. Perhaps Hersh add a highest CD earnings thread to his arsenal?

I’m not certain that I’m in it for the long haul with DSD.

I initially linked a checking account I barely use (because the language on their site specifically said to link a checking account), just to get started.

Now I want to link the actual savings account that I intended to transfer money from, but they won’t let me.

They seem to only encourage linking to external checking accounts, and I can’t add another one of those until I’ve been a customer for 60 days.

The $100 I transferred in for the initial funding of the account is still on hold (common with new bank accounts).

Once they make it available I’m going to ACH part of it back out and see how long it takes.

If their ACH processing times are glacial, I’m going to close the account.

2 Likes

The ACH took one business day, which isn’t revolutionary but it’ll work.

I’m going to move some money from [other savings accounts] >> NF >> DSD.

Since SoFi does same-day ACHs, despite the lower 2.5% APY (vs. 3%) I’m going to leave a reasonable balance there because I generally run relatively lean on cash in our main household checking account (I have barely enough direct deposited into this account to cover routine / recurring expenses).

:joy:

WTF is wrong with Navy Federal?

They also don’t support ACH pulls from external accounts, even after the accounts are linked (assuming the external account is even linkable). :clown_face:

If you want to do an ACH transfer between a Navy Federal and an external account, you have to go to the other bank, link both accounts again in the other bank’s site/app, and then push the ACH into NF from the external account.

It’s unfathomable to me how people put up with these archaic limitations, much less how NF has found enough ignorant consumers with zero expectations to become the largest CU in the USA.

1 Like

My local branch has an excellent selection of mints though.

1 Like

I recently closed my Wells Fargo checking account after ~15 years, and I do miss the Dum-Dums in the branches.

1 Like

So I’m good to move as well? :smiling_imp:

Are you buying on TreasuryDirect? How do you know the rate when buying?

As long as you can live with the limitation of only one linked account (which must be a checking account) and next-day ACHs, I’d say so.

If I were to start the entire process over, I’d choose a different checking account to link. NF sucks :basketball: :basketball: , but I wrongly thought it wouldn’t matter here.

1 Like

also the rate is now 3.05%

1 Like