Liquid Savings and CDs - Where Do You Keep Your Cash?

for New Accountholders for 12 Months on Balances up to $20,000

Literally died when I saw @GOAT use this earlier :joy::joy::joy:
plane crash GIF

1 Like

I hold bond funds also, I just don’t use them as liquid savings because they aren’t liquid savings.

Relax about DSD. If you’ll read my comments in this thread you’ll see that I’m not happy with them either.

Sofi has my primary savings account. They pay 3.75% and do same-day ACHs both in and out.

Money’s in my checking account at another bank within ~2 business hours, so it’s definitely not faster to wait at least 1 business day (but more like 2 IME, but we can go with 1 if you’d like) for a trade to settle.

I would definitely consider this unless the checking account had additional requirements, like making debit card purchases every month. I have one of these too (Sofi) but it only pays 2.75%.

Who pays more than 3.75% APY on checking with no strings?

Isn’t Wealthfront currently at 4.05%? Or are you including like temporary referral bonuses as well.

The worst best is subjective.

I wouldn’t be willing to put up with the limitations that are noted in numerous negative reviews.

I will trade some yield for convenience for this pool of money.

It’s pretty much tracking the dows 200 dma. Which I agree looks like it can certainly breakdown. But the 12% divi will help mitigate some losses unless all hell breaks loose and divis are cut etc. In that case nothing is safe really. That’s why I mentioned risk/reward

So-Fi is only 3.75 with direct deposits right? I use Ally at 3.5 but I direct deposit into a local CU.

Capital One is 5% on an 11 month CD.

Popular Direct is 4.40% Savings account.

2 Likes

Yes, I think DD is required for that rate.

I have my DD from work split across ~10 accounts for various reasons.

Unlike some of the other accounts, SoFi doesn’t have a minimum requirement.

1 Like

Including that referral bonus. You can get up to a year at 4.55% (which I got just by referring family — they don’t even have to use the account if they don’t want to). I’m already referral capped but happy to send you a link if you want to open one. I’ve used Wealthfront for about 4 years without any hiccups :+1:

1 Like

I actually had signed up with a link I had found, so I have 4.55% for 3 months (I believe). Now to start referring people. :grin: But I appreciate the offer!

Ahhh very nice…I didn’t read the fine print minimum.

Besides liquidity with MM accounts, is there a reason why people here are favoring or talking about CDs over T bills or municipal bonds (fed or state tax free?).

Yes, I jumped into the JEPQ a few months back. It’s basically the Nasdaq 100 with call options sold against it. Dished out 1% dividend last month. JEPI is the S&P 500 version.

1 Like

if you figure this out please let me know.

ok i’m genuinely curious - why are you opposed to the checking with requirements? the elements link I posted is 5% and you can automate their billpay system to make 15x billpays every month in less than 10 minutes. 15 billpays to your power company or cellphone of .50-.64 cents each is less than $10 that you’d be paying anyway and with that you can earn 5%.

That’s a 12-month promo rate on balances up to $20,000. Balances beyond that pay 1.66%.

Not enough there there.

suppose you can’t lead a horse to water

It’s a polite way of saying 20k is not the amount he has in savings…and he has the means and ability to balk at splitting this savings for a few percentage points.

Even setting aside the cap, realistically with rates still going up, the additional 1.25% compared to what I’m already getting is going to shrink as time elapses. The entire benefit may evaporate by the end of the 12-month promo on the checking account.

It’s just worth the overhead of opening an account that I’ll just have to close in a year.

Which reminds me… I have a CD at Navy Federal with a maturity date sometime next week. When I locked in the money for a year it felt like I was robbing them blind at 3.0% APY.

Hey what are your thoughts on the Bask Bank AmericanAir Miles Savings Account where you earn Advantage miles instead of interest-- at a rate of 2 Miles per dollar in your account per year but paid monthly based on your average monthly balance. So if you left $50k in there for a year, you’d total 100k AA Miles after 12 months. Bask’s regular savings rate pays 4.25%, so am I right to conclude that you need to value an AA Miles at 2.5 cents to make it worth the while? Flyertalk or one of the websites values them at 1.5 cents, so it’s a pass? …unless interest rates plummet and they are still paying out 2-1 miles/dollar…

the rate is ‘up to $20k’, not starting at $20k.

its not a CD you’re not locked in for any period of time. it only stipulates that the 5% rate lasts for a year.