Life without blind-spot assist

It is kind of odd considering BMW has an array of tech that is a rare option in comparable brand (i.e HUD being found very commonly in builds via tech pack.) Although I believe it’s in the first package in the 18 X3 now. Probably standard by 2019?

Yeah I think for me it’s one of those weird aura’s of “losing” (so to speak) something you’re used to. Like if you had a smartphone and then you go back to a basic phone kind of thing.

For sure, that’s where I’m at. Thanks!

1 Like

Didn’t know I needed it until I had it, and then drove without it.

I don’t need it. I just keep my side view mirrors at widest position, in other words not looking back, looking sideways.

I guess it depends on how much you have come to rely on the feature? I’ve never had a car with it, I use my mirrors and will usually do a quick look behind me just to double check when there are a lot of cars on the road. I wouldn’t pay extra for it but my wife definitely would…

Round convex mirrors did pretty good job from what I recall. The only negative about the mirrors is that they are useless at night. Now that I have blind assist, it did save my butt a few times.

Never thought i needed one until i got it…now i feel like any car I lease must absolutely have it…Blind Spot Assist and a Surround View Camera (top-down view)…not proud of myself, but it is what it is.

1 Like

I have the full suite of assistant features on my golf (acc, blind spot, cross traffic alert, emergency braking, auto parking assistance). After 2 years with the car, the only features I would want on my next car is emergency braking and cross traffic alert. Blind spot on my car isn’t a bright enough alert, and the image in the mirror gets obscured too easy.

Doesn’t it also beep like crazy?

No audible cues in my car, just a light on the mirror

Mine (15 C300) only beeps if I make a move when someone is there. HOWEVER it’s not active so if I still go, I still hit. I’ve concluded I’m fine either way.

I can take it or leave it. I don’t totally trust it - more use it as a sanity check.

Mine beeps when I use the turn signal, otherwise only the light is visible. It’s a Kia Optima.

I agree with this statement. I don’t have it in my Civic and don’t miss it at all. I’ve driven a friends Murano a lot as well as my wife’s MDX and use it/find it useful in those cars all the time. When renting a big suv without blind spot monitoring I now miss it.

I have it on my vehicle and also on my last vehicle. Even with it I still check my blind spot. It is just the way I was taught to drive. I prefer a small blind spot mirror over a light. So if I have it doesn’t really matter.

I have one SUV with blind spot detection and one sedan without. I don’t drive aggressively but its useful when you are trying to do quick lane changes specially in the SUV coming out of an exit.

I prefer the little blind spot mirrors