Licensing fee check in Seattle, WA

So I am trying to buy a new VW Tiguan and received several quotes which all seem to have inflated fees. As I live in Seattle, I’ve been told our registration tabs/transportation taxes are particularly high (RTA - regional transit authority and PTBA - public transportation benefit area). But does anyone know how legitimate these fees are? I’m seeing quotes of 700-800 for licensing fees alone.

1 Like

The last one recently posted shows 850 so yes

They are legitimate. Welcome to the PNW.

If you live in the RTA zone (Seattle/Tacoma metro areas served by or soon to be served by regional rail), congrats on having crazy high registration fees. In addition to $200 in title and registration fees, you’ll pay 1.1% of the base MSRP of the car.

Dealers will frequently overestimate this for quote purposes, clean it up in finance once it goes into the computer, and then any overage gets refunded to you. Dealers do not like to lowball this and will always be conservative.

6 Likes

:point_up:He’s right. Is this the first car you are registering in wa? The RTA tax it’s not something new. Here you can estimate the fees on your own. RTA tax

2 Likes

Oh, one other thing. It’s not a one time deal. It’s annual. They use book values to manage what the 1.1% should be calculated based on for aged vehicles.

3 Likes

CO is pretty bad too on reg fees.

Then there’s NC and VA with personal property tax. :money_with_wings:

1 Like

Good to know about CO - I was thinking of moving there next

Sigh. I’m constantly learning why people leave this state.

Thank you though! It’s been a headache to work with the dealers in the area and I just am never sure what they are trying to pull.

1 Like

Shame since it’s a very beautiful and geographically diverse state!

All states have their pros and cons. I wouldn’t let licensing fees alone sway you one way or the other.

1 Like

I see I’ve made a mistake in getting ever so remotely political in my comment.

1 Like

Yeah! Yet there are plenty of other diverse states.

Little delayed. Don’t get me started on how WA taxes folks, but for me it all comes out in the wash since we don’t pay State and local income taxes.

2 Likes