Lexus GS production coming to an end

Any Lexus enthusiasts out there? It is a shame. I always felt the GS was sportier than the ES. However, with “everyone” driving SUVs, it kind of makes sense for Lexus. The ES is their money-making sedan.

So far in 2020, Lexus has sold 624 GS’s. Same time last year, they sold 955.

Source: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2020/04/02/lexus-march-2020-sales-report/

11,390 ES’ s were sold this time last year.

Not a huge Lexus enthusiast, but I think the demise of the GS was also that it just wasn’t a great fit in the Lexus lineup (separate and apart from everyone driving SUVs, since Lexus still sells a decent # of ESs).

Don’t forget the next-gen Toyota Mirai is going RWD and will be a sedan. It’s about the same size as a GS and looks sexy as hell. Interior looks quite nice, too. I don’t it’s being tuned as a sporty drive, though.

1 Like

Agree. One point I forgot to make was that a GS costs about the same as a 530i xdrive. A “loaded” brand new GS is going for about $58k. Lexus selling point has always been reliability, but the GS’s exterior design felt bland over the years. The interior starres to feel outdated, IMO. It took me a while to get used to that huge front grille on the F sport trim.

Powered by hydrogen fuel cell?

I had a 2014 and a 2016 GS 350 F Sport (both RWD, both when Lexus subsidized leases on the GS) and would not consider a front wheel drive ES in its present form. Lexus should borrow a page from the Germans and consider making a new premium GS car on the ES platform. It MUST be an AWD though! Think of Audi A7 vs A6, CLS vs E Class, old 6 Series vs 5 Series, etc.

And, yes, upcoming Mirai is very sexy looking and can definitely be a platform for a RWD luxury sports sedan.

I believe AWD was available as an option. Up here in the Northeast, dealers only seem to be selling AWD models.

I meant a future car (aka a figment of my imagination) - a premium AWD 4-door coupe (CLS or 8 Series style) or fastback (a la A7) with at least 350-360 hp mild hybrid. Use the twin turbo 3.5 ltr to differentiate from the ES to justify $10K+ premium.

1 Like

Correct.

But only available in a few states, apparently.

Lexus should have revamped the GS as an Audi A7 competitor. It should become a niche car for Lexus, not a volume car. I had a '15 GS350 FSport and loved it. There is no way I would have gone into a front drive ES. The ES is more of an aspirational car for Lexus, not a true Lexus.

When I see ES, I don’t think aspirational. Usually to me, aspirational means “halo” or something to desire that you can’t have.

ES is a Lexus badged Avalon with better transmission tuning.

Aspirational when referring to a “luxury” item typically means that it’s not a true luxury item, but something that is near a true luxury. When referencing luxury items I’ve never heard of aspirational meaning the pinnacle of the brand.

But he GS could almost become a “halo” type car for Lexus. It’s style and tech leader.

The halo car used to be LSF, now I posit that belongs to the LC 500.

An LS would still be above the GS in class, though.

The Ls f sport or Ls f?

I don’t recall there being an Ls f, is f was great but the gs f was lackluster, $85k+ and running an antiquated 5.0 N/A v8.

Would have loved to see something better out of the gs f.

The writing was on the wall for a long time. First the Acura RL/RLX died, then presumably so did the Infiniti M/Q70… actually does anyone know if it’s still alive?

IDK what the hell Infiniti has anymore. Every time you turn around they use a different naming system for their cars. I don’t recall the last time I saw a new Infiniti with a temp tag on it…lol…honestly

I know don’t know if “aspirational” has a “true” definition when used as marketing-speak (which I think is the case in this context). My own impression of aspirational in terms of cars is when you purchase one of the cheaper models to get “into” the brand b/c you can’t quite afford the models for which the brand is famous.

While the ES is based on a Toyota and is one of the cheaper models, I actually think of the UX/NX models as more aspirational. I have no data, but my thoughts are that the UX/NX buyers are relatively young and upwardly mobile, while ES pulls from a larger spectrum of buyers (incl people who are probably pretty rich and could afford any number of more expensive luxury cars but want an Lexus that’s relatively modest but still offers the typical ownership experience… like a retiree).

That’s why older folks are usually the ones seeing driving the ES. IMO, it is a boring-looking car.

Pretty sure @StingerTT meant LFA.

I did mean LFA. My brain took a complete brain fart. (Been taking breaks between python courses)