LexisNexis and carmakers

Well, this is stunning.

I can confirm this. I pulled my LexisNexis report for something else and sure enough, every trip I had taken in my truck up to when the report was pulled was in there. I knew I had opted out of GM’s data sharing in OnStar when I created the account but I guess LexisNexis has some kind of agreement with GM that they’re not part of the opt-out.

If you haven’t read the terms of use. Or this article from 2011

Or this thread from last fall

Son of a biscuit… Mercedes and my Insurance company know how much McDonalds and Wendy’s I’ve been eating?

I’m probably less shocked than the OP but thought it was interesting that even having opted out it was all still in my report.

I guess I’ll add car manufacturers to the long list of people telling me to not be a fat ass.

Can you imagine? I bet your bank knows how much money is or isn’t in your account.

Or they just ignore the request like how other data brokers do and Facebook/Google were doing with their data.

I turned off my MB data sharing/collections and my next renewal should be this month, will keep posted if there is a large increase (current insurer has been good to me so fingers crossed). Hopefully MB is not tracking even when opted out similar to your GM experience.

Whether or not you get an increase, requesting your LexisNexis Report (Master File) is the only way to know if any vehicles were reporting in a way your car insurance would know

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

For your vehicle, you can also check

e.g. (borrowed from the MMR thread)

Big Snitch energy coming from a 9 year old Yukon.

Vehicle Privacy Report is run by Privacy4Cars, which has some great resources including instructions on wiping data from your car, and lists of dealers who will ensure you data is wiped when traded/sold (something the mobile phone industry has required for R2/RIOS certification for about 15 years).

1 Like

Lexisnexis report has been frozen for over 6 years :wink: