Lemon on Used car?

So I bought a 2021 GLE63s 3 months ago and it was great but there were always some small issues like battery light, motor mounts, and brakes squeaking so I got it all fixed.

There was a recall on the 48v battery to do a software update. I got it done and drove home. A few days later passed (didn’t drive it) and the car wouldn’t start up. So tried to jump and charge it overnight and still nothing.

I towed it to the dealer and sat for 2-3 weeks of them telling me what was wrong and diagnostics kept changing. Now they said I have to wait 6+ months for a new body harness for the vehicle. I kept asking what is the reasoning behind the harness being replaced. Is it water damage? Maybe a rat ate through the wiring? All I got was “Sorry, our lead tech pinpointed the issue going to the harness and we need a new one”

I know lemons really only work with new cars but MB corporate isn’t doing shit either. They just say “Sorry deal with the dealer in this matter”. I have owned MANY MBs in the past and I think this is truly the last straw with them. At least BMW would have attempted to help and even cover a few payments while the car is in the shop.

Has anyone ever heard of the possibility of taking manufacturer to court over a used car that is still well within the warranty period?

That wouldnt be a state lemon law claim but a federal claim under magnuson-moss

2 Likes

Yes.

I am thinking of maybe towing the car to another dealer or an Indy shop and having them diagnose cause it is VERY rare a body harness would go bad without some sort of water damage or something. They are being very shady about it.

Is this the same dealer that sold you the vehicle? Have you seen a Carfax or Autocheck for this vehicle?

Indy shop may be your best bet.

Definitely not a lemon if a used car.

I’m not even sure you can claim under the MM pointed out above unless it says they will give you a rental car and they don’t.

Used car warranty claims are so hard to get around.

There was a Steve Lehto video about someone who bought a used car, it had issues and they found out it was a Lemon Law retitle. (I think that’s the term) and when she bought it she wasn’t informed about it and won a ‘Lemon’ on a used car.

What would be your claim? They haven’t denied warranty

One could argue that giving a 6+ month repair timeframe is failing to reasonably honor the warranty. Itd definitely be a question for an attorney though.

1 Like

No different dealer sadly.

Well, it is under factory MB warranty still. My argument is having a car in the shop a possibility was the dealer’s fault or MB software update screwed everything up. The car was fine till I got the software updated.

I had a similar issue with BMW and BMW really stepped up and offered to pay for a few monthly car payments but the car was fixed right away even though the dealer said it would be 2-3 months for the part to come in.

Yes. I think they are going to “repair” the car to only have more issues or not fixed in full.

I asked dealer to put everything back together and they said “we have the car all pulled apart and 10 hours deep into the car, we cannot release car due to safety concerns”

Pull up the car fax and see if it was a previous lemon.

Otherwise if they are giving you a rent a car for 6 months. You case might be considered weak.

Steve L points out in cases of RV’s which aren’t covered under lemon law, as long as they ‘attempt’ to fix the issue in the warranty (and it doesn’t fix it) , you can’t sue the RV manufacturer as they are working in ‘good faith’

Your dealer is working in good faith, the part just isn’t available. (Which is an instant lemon on a new car)

CarFax is clean or I wouldn’t have bought it.

The car was serviced A LOT, which makes me think the dealer who sold it as new kept trying to fix it and kept it under wraps. I am 95% certain the battery is the issue and it was replaced 2 times with first owner.

I think my dealer who is fixing has no idea what they doing. They just like let’s just replace the most time-consuming item in the car. I think they know the software bricked multiple modules so they trying to blame someone else. I haven’t gotten a straight answer on WHY the harness needs to be replaced.

Are there any MB forums out there that you can check to see if this is some sort of common issue and if they disclose a repair?

1 Like

It is a common issue with GLE/GLS/E that the 48v battery is shot and the car won’t turn on but all electronics do. That is what I thought initially and still think is the issue. The dealer keeps saying the battery is good so no worries on that. I think they are just following whatever the computer is saying and not seeing why it needs a new harness.