Leasing Vehicle in Germany?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if any one of you have any experience leasing a vehicle in Europe, specifically in Germany.

If you do, what website/source should I look into?

I’ll be stationed in Munich Region/State for awhile and do know that there are purchase deals for military folks, but do not know anything about lease option.

Any type of light would be very helpful as I have 0 knowledge about it.

Thanks.

@StingerTT 101010

The only military program that offers leasing is BMW military sales. Honestly, I’ve looked at the deals they offer and the terms are not the best. It just makes more sense to buy the BMW and sell in the states when you return, you’ll spend less money in the long run.

Aside from that, you’ll need a German bank account to lease through a German financial compan outside the military auto sales programs, but I don’t have any experience in that and don’t know anyone who did it.

The German lease terms also don’t seem great either. My advice to you is to stay away from military auto source and the dealers seeking used US spec vehicles. You’ll save the most money buying a beater car from someone within the USAREUR registration system. Sell the car when you’re about to leave here.

3 Likes

This might be worth checking out:

https://www.renaultusa.com

If you’re able to, I would just buy a used car. They tend to be on the more expensive side - but you have a whole host of exciting European hot hatches to choose from. You can get a Renault Clio V6!

1 Like

Here we go:

https://www.sixt-leasing.com/

They are not necessarily the cheapest but also not terrible. Even if you don’t want to do business with them, you get a realistic sense of the rates over there. Just click on the brand you are interested in and they have a calculator where you can build your car and get a direct quote. I think as military personnel you might be eligible to get the rate without the VAT which is around 20% less. Let me know if you have any questions.

Any advice provided here needs to take into account that the vehicles that are leased MUST be eligible to be USAREUR registered.

Sales tax isn’t paid on vehicles registered in the system and can complicate a deal. I don’t know anyone who’s leased from Renault or Sixt.

Just about everyone has either bought new or bought really old, used. I ended up buying a used Mercedes CLA 180 shooting brake and I’m already worried about selling the car when the time comes.