Leasing Used Cars in this Market

Anyone have thoughts on leasing used cars in this market. It seems like some high end luxury cars lose significant value (2018s-2020s). Anyone have any experience of thoughts on this?

Would never want to lease a lux car out of warranty. Bad bad news

5 Likes

What quotes have you gotten?

Would buy extended warranty for life of lease along with tire and rim protection and maintenance plan.

Will share quotes here once I get something.

1 Like

I would not recommend it in normal times (pre pandemic).

I’m curious to see what they look like.

2 Likes

In your head it goes something like, I’ll save $200 month and be driving an equivalent vehicle.

In reality you’ll save $37 / month and jump thru 12 potentially time consuming hoops to do it. I did it once on the BMW CPO lease and while it was a good experience it wasnt the savings I envisioned. No issues w/ vehicle though and I am happier than most on here to drive something European out of warranty.

With limited inventory and the dealers ability to sell a used vehicle greater than ever this may be a good attempt at pushing a Boulder uphill.

2 Likes

The MF on used-car leases are (were?) typically really bad. Do share some quotes, though, for feedback.

Just noticed you’re in TX. Don’t most lease in TX stink b/c of the tax structure?

1 Like

You can get tax credit for new leases sometimes. @iac is the guy to talk to about that sort of stuff

1 Like

Until 8/1 all 2-8 series (except M)

SAV we can do lender tax credit on a one-pay.

I lease a used RL back in the 90’s it was great!!! Please let us know what you have found. I have been thinking about this for the last 6 months with this crazy market. I extended my 19 530ix lease 6 months to see where the market goes…

So it was a big dud. Bad money factor, bad mileage, bad residual value. I think it only makes sense if you are writing it off on your taxes for your business. Otherwise, buying a used car is much cheaper.

1 Like

I hear this so often, but is it really still the case that these “luxury” cars are so much worse out of warranty?

Sure, if you get the S-class with air suspension and active body control (or whatever you call it) there are more things to go wrong and a lot of sensory.

But what about a C or E-class without the bells and whistles…wouldn’t that be fairly reliable?

E-class is the sweet spot of being made with good materials but a lot less of the easily breakable stuff on the S-class. Especially the NA V6 and 5AT and 7AT of the W211 and 212 generations.

Our family has had multiple of them, kept well past warranty.

The reliability isn’t so much the issue. It is the outrageous cost to repair if something does happen. I had an extended warranty on an E class that cost about $800 a year. That gave me peace of mind while owning the car off warranty. When I sold the car, I got a pro-rated refund on the unused warranty cost.